What's your favorite small kitchen gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hands down, it's my apple slicer/corer.
canning-pantry_1881_3728934
Great for slicing an apple for a small child's lunch, and for cutting up apples for an apple pie. I just bought a new one a few months ago after my first one self-destructed after almost twenty years of continous use. Papmered Chef wants $11.95 for one, and Le Gourmet Chef sells them for $2.99!

Last edited:
I feel like the only person that doesn't love kitchen gadgets.... I have my favorite chef's knife, my wooden spatula, and I really don't use many utensils past that....

Maybe my pasta strainer? I'd have to say that's the one I use the most. Or maybe the cheese slicer.

Caine said:
Hands down, it's my apple slicer/corer. Great for slicing an apple for a small child's lunch, and for cutting up apples for an apple pie. I just bought a new one a few months ago after my first one self-destructed after almost twenty years of continous use. Papmered Chef wants $11.95 for one, and Le Gourmet Chef sells them for $2.99!

I love those! I have one and it makes life so much easier. I eat a lot of apples and having them instantly sliced and cored is so handy. It's hard to have an excuse for not getting enough fruit and veg with gadgets like that!

I'd say one of my favourites (aside from the aforementioned apple corer/slicer) would be my immersion blender. It makes pureeing soup so easy and prevents the huge mess of transferring hot soup to a blender and so forth. It's also good for mashed potatos, whipping egg whites and cream.

Gosh, three things come immediately to mind for me.

First, I don't know what I'd do without my 2-quart glass measuring cup/bowl. I use it all the time. So much so that I've bought a second one because it's not unusual for me to press both of them into service at the same time.

Secondly, since I've gotten my electronic kitchen scale, I've become a very efficient and accurate cook. I made chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies last weekend and only dirtied up a couple of measuring spoons when I mixed the batter.

Lastly, I love my microplane grater. I use it all the time, for all kinds of foods.

There are lots more gadgets, but these three are my top favorites.

My most frequently used small kitchen gadget is my Braun hand blender. Next is my Microplane. Love both. I've been looking for that small coil whisk too ...

I'm a gadget person to. My top few:

1. Silpat liners for cookie sheets
2. Mini spatulas that I got at Williams Sonoma.
3. Garlic press.
4. Reamer
5. Microplane

To name a few . . . .

I have an Olive de-stoner, now it`s not the most Frequently used small gadget, but it`s ceratinly worth its weight in gold when it comes to olives or even Cherries.
it`s hardly even possible to do them by hand and still have them look "Whole" without one.

PytnPlace said:
I'm a gadget person to. My top few:

1. Silpat liners for cookie sheets
2. Mini spatulas that I got at Williams Sonoma.
3. Garlic press.
4. Reamer
5. Microplane

To name a few . . . .

I, also, own a Microplane grater! It comes with its own safety cover to help avoid nicks and cuts when not in use.:chef:

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding low-tech...

I like my old Foley flat 3-in-one grater. It's actually 4-in-one, since it has places for coarse, medium & fine grating, plus a slot for thin slicing of potatoes, carrots, etc. I use the coarse grating holes most often for cheese, and the slicing slot for homemade potato chips. The tiniest holes are my zester--probably not as efficient as a microplane, but hey....

Takes up almost no storage space and goes in the dishwasher--two of my favorite attributes!

I love all my gadgets best when they happen to be the ones I want to use at that moment. There aren't that many things I've bought and never used, though some of them might not have been used very often.

The odd things that I've never used are usually gifts from my mum, like a funny covered cup for storing half an onion in the fridge. It's supposed to stop the onion smell from contaminating everything else, but I never have half an onion. If I want a small amount of onion, I choose a smaller one. I guess she just wanted to give me a gift, so I've kept it even though I have no use for it whatsoever and despite the fact that it takes up a ridiculous amount of space in the drawer.

My handy potato peeler. When I was in the U.S. a long time ago and staying with some friends, I helped them to peel potatoes and they were amazed at my speed! So I consider myself a good potato peeler and am handicapped without the gadget.

Back
Top Bottom