"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
What's your favorite wooden spoon?

I am new to the forum...and desperately need some new NICE wooden spoons! What's your favorite kind? Is there a certain 'go to" brand for wooden spoons? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance :)

__________________

MrsCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCox View Post
I am new to the forum...and desperately need some new NICE wooden spoons! What's your favorite kind? Is there a certain 'go to" brand for wooden spoons? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance :)
Not really, go to your local department store, Kmart, Walmart, whatever, and look in the kitchen stuff. You can usually find a set of wooden cooking utensils. I like to put the whole collection in a bamboo holder where they are available.

Use them. They will season in and become some of your favorite tools.

If you can get the selection of wooden tools, you'll find that the flat blade scraper will become a favorite to use.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,413
First of all Howdy and welcome to DC.

Truthfully my favorite wooden spoon was the one that mysteriously disappeared from my mom's kitchen when I was youngster. After that it wasn't involved in more high speed collisions with my backside.

I found this set on sale for $8.

.40
__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,067
I get my 'favorite' wooden spoons from the 99 cent store. They work as well as any designer $10 wooden spoons.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,623
The set .40 linked are nice. I prefer those with a hefty handle over the pencil thin spoons you get in the supermarket. I have found bamboo a great material for cooking utensils.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,019
Welcome to the forum!!

I mostly use silicone lately but I do have some trustly old wooden cooking utensils. I have a skinny spat that I use to get in and scrape out cans, a wide spat for saute' and multi tasks. Wood is wood no real #1 brand. just make sure it is heavy and thick in the handle and body. The thin ones warp and snap easy.

I like the wooden ladle below as it hooks onto pots but it was pricey and I don't use it often because I don't wanna break it. It looks so pretty and like I said pricey! I got a Rachel Ray set of the hook on pots type a 2 pack with a silicon spoon and ladle that I use the most often for cooking and 2 silicone spats.

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The set .40 linked are nice. I prefer those with a hefty handle over the pencil thin spoons you get in the supermarket. I have found bamboo a great material for cooking utensils.
I really like my bamboo cutting boards. I've had them about a year and they are holding up very well.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,511
My favorite is my Cypress Roux spoon....Just a long handle, wide flat blade spoon.

I pick them up here and there....Sometimes an inexpensive set that I consider disposable...Use them a while and toss them in the camp fire.
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
First of all Howdy and welcome to DC.

Truthfully my favorite wooden spoon was the one that mysteriously disappeared from my mom's kitchen when I was youngster. After that it wasn't involved in more high speed collisions with my backside.

I found this set on sale for $8.

.40
ROTFL!! It's amazing how those things could go around corners when thrown just right!! Like they had GPS location years before cars!!

When my mom moved she sold the fridge and found all her fav throwing tools behind it!! I didn't have enough nerve to actually remove them from the house.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Sting. Owie, Owie.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Sting. Owie, Owie.
My mom split/cracked several woods before switching to wire coat hangers. But let me not go into those memories.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,715
That's one gorgeous spoon MsM !! You really should use it an enjoy it, expensive or not!

I have an olive wood spatula that was hand crafted. I bought in a little remote Italian town last year and I use it daily. The wood grain is just beautiful, and the handle has a wonderful feel to it. It was expensive, but has sure been a source of cooking enjoyment for me. With all the traveling we do, I only buy souvenirs that are useful, and have meaning to me.
Here's a picture of the shape, but mine is much more beautiful.
Amazon.com: Cilio Olivewood Spatula, 12-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Very elegant, KL.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,019
I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's one gorgeous spoon MsM !! You really should use it an enjoy it, expensive or not!

I have an olive wood spatula that was hand crafted. I bought in a little remote Italian town last year and I use it daily. The wood grain is just beautiful, and the handle has a wonderful feel to it. It was expensive, but has sure been a source of cooking enjoyment for me. With all the traveling we do, I only buy souvenirs that are useful, and have meaning to me.
Here's a picture of the shape, but mine is much more beautiful.
Amazon.com: Cilio Olivewood Spatula, 12-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
That is very similar to the one I have, olive wood...it has seasoned beautifully...and I got it and an olive wood spoon for about $5 at Ross...that's where I look for my high end utensils...Ross first and then I go shopping at other places. Most of the time I find what I want for lots less.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!

When I fisrt got my olive wood utensils...I found a jar large enough to hold them, put 'em in and covered with olive oil. Nothing sticks to them and they reseason themselves now, eveytime I use them. I still have the jar and soak oil, I add any wood utensil in and soak until they are fairly saturated, allow to air dry and wipe down...they last a bit longer.

Oh, and I never soap them...rinse water and wipe only...no smell at all.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is very similar to the one I have, olive wood...it has seasoned beautifully...and I got it and an olive wood spoon for about $5 at Ross...that's where I look for my high end utensils...Ross first and then I go shopping at other places. Most of the time I find what I want for lots less.
Oh boy do I agree about the bargains at Ross!! I made a killing there for high end utensils before Christmas. Congrats on the olive wood spoon......great buy!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,019
What is "Ross"?
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
What is "Ross"?
"Ross Dress For Less" similar to Kohl's, I believe...there aren't any Kohl's around here. Ross is usually down the strip mall from the TJ Maxx.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,067
.:: ROSS ::.
__________________

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×