What's your favorite wooden spoon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsCox

Assistant Cook
I am new to the forum...and desperately need some new NICE wooden spoons! What's your favorite kind? Is there a certain 'go to" brand for wooden spoons? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance :)

I am new to the forum...and desperately need some new NICE wooden spoons! What's your favorite kind? Is there a certain 'go to" brand for wooden spoons? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance :)

Not really, go to your local department store, Kmart, Walmart, whatever, and look in the kitchen stuff. You can usually find a set of wooden cooking utensils. I like to put the whole collection in a bamboo holder where they are available.

Use them. They will season in and become some of your favorite tools.

If you can get the selection of wooden tools, you'll find that the flat blade scraper will become a favorite to use.

Last edited:
First of all Howdy and welcome to DC.

Truthfully my favorite wooden spoon was the one that mysteriously disappeared from my mom's kitchen when I was youngster. After that it wasn't involved in more high speed collisions with my backside.

I found this set on sale for $8.

The set .40 linked are nice. I prefer those with a hefty handle over the pencil thin spoons you get in the supermarket. I have found bamboo a great material for cooking utensils.

Welcome to the forum!!

I mostly use silicone lately but I do have some trustly old wooden cooking utensils. I have a skinny spat that I use to get in and scrape out cans, a wide spat for saute' and multi tasks. Wood is wood no real #1 brand. just make sure it is heavy and thick in the handle and body. The thin ones warp and snap easy.

I like the wooden ladle below as it hooks onto pots but it was pricey and I don't use it often because I don't wanna break it. It looks so pretty and like I said pricey! I got a Rachel Ray set of the hook on pots type a 2 pack with a silicon spoon and ladle that I use the most often for cooking and 2 silicone spats.

img_957116_0_af2523280e4cd7bad7dd202525025cf3.jpg

The set .40 linked are nice. I prefer those with a hefty handle over the pencil thin spoons you get in the supermarket. I have found bamboo a great material for cooking utensils.

I really like my bamboo cutting boards. I've had them about a year and they are holding up very well.

My favorite is my Cypress Roux spoon....Just a long handle, wide flat blade spoon.

I pick them up here and there....Sometimes an inexpensive set that I consider disposable...Use them a while and toss them in the camp fire.

First of all Howdy and welcome to DC.

Truthfully my favorite wooden spoon was the one that mysteriously disappeared from my mom's kitchen when I was youngster. After that it wasn't involved in more high speed collisions with my backside.

I found this set on sale for $8.

ROTFL!! It's amazing how those things could go around corners when thrown just right!! Like they had GPS location years before cars!!

When my mom moved she sold the fridge and found all her fav throwing tools behind it!! I didn't have enough nerve to actually remove them from the house.

That's one gorgeous spoon MsM !! You really should use it an enjoy it, expensive or not!

I have an olive wood spatula that was hand crafted. I bought in a little remote Italian town last year and I use it daily. The wood grain is just beautiful, and the handle has a wonderful feel to it. It was expensive, but has sure been a source of cooking enjoyment for me. With all the traveling we do, I only buy souvenirs that are useful, and have meaning to me.
Here's a picture of the shape, but mine is much more beautiful.
Amazon.com: Cilio Olivewood Spatula, 12-Inch: Kitchen & Dining

I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!

Last edited:
That's one gorgeous spoon MsM !! You really should use it an enjoy it, expensive or not!

I have an olive wood spatula that was hand crafted. I bought in a little remote Italian town last year and I use it daily. The wood grain is just beautiful, and the handle has a wonderful feel to it. It was expensive, but has sure been a source of cooking enjoyment for me. With all the traveling we do, I only buy souvenirs that are useful, and have meaning to me.
Here's a picture of the shape, but mine is much more beautiful.
Amazon.com: Cilio Olivewood Spatula, 12-Inch: Kitchen & Dining

That is very similar to the one I have, olive wood...it has seasoned beautifully...and I got it and an olive wood spoon for about $5 at Ross...that's where I look for my high end utensils...Ross first and then I go shopping at other places. Most of the time I find what I want for lots less.

I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!

When I fisrt got my olive wood utensils...I found a jar large enough to hold them, put 'em in and covered with olive oil. Nothing sticks to them and they reseason themselves now, eveytime I use them. I still have the jar and soak oil, I add any wood utensil in and soak until they are fairly saturated, allow to air dry and wipe down...they last a bit longer.

Oh, and I never soap them...rinse water and wipe only...no smell at all.

That is very similar to the one I have, olive wood...it has seasoned beautifully...and I got it and an olive wood spoon for about $5 at Ross...that's where I look for my high end utensils...Ross first and then I go shopping at other places. Most of the time I find what I want for lots less.

Oh boy do I agree about the bargains at Ross!! I made a killing there for high end utensils before Christmas. Congrats on the olive wood spoon......great buy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom