When and how to clean a pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, this goes for non stick pans OR stainless steel. What exactly do you do to clean it. I have heard to wait until it cools. Doesn't that make it harder to clean? I usually run it under hot water and scrape it a little and than leave it so I can eat dinner and I get to it later. Any tips?

If you sear some meat in a pan and deglaze it to dissolve the fond for a sauce, you are cleaning it. When I use a SS pan tho brown or sear, when I'm done with the pan, I get it hot and put water into the hot pan. That will help lift off any cooked on crud. Then when dinner is done it cleans up easily.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.Actually that is sort of what I've been doing. usually when done...the pan is still pretty hot so I just put hot water in it.

If you sear some meat in a pan and deglaze it to dissolve the fond for a sauce, you are cleaning it. When I use a SS pan tho brown or sear, when I'm done with the pan, I get it hot and put water into the hot pan. That will help lift off any cooked on crud. Then when dinner is done it cleans up easily.

Same here, Andy. Doing it this way requires very little "scrubbing" to clean.

I do the same thing.

"thermal shock" which can warp or crack a pan is plunging a hot pan into a sinkful of cold water. Puting some water (warm or hot into a pan on the stove ) really shouldn't damage a good heavy pan. But if the pan has cooled and stuff is stuck, put water in the pan and heat it up on the stove...it'll come loose just fine.

"thermal shock" which can warp or crack a pan is plunging a hot pan into a sinkfull of cold water. Putting some water (warm or hot into a pan on the stove ) really shouldn't damage a good heavy pan. But if the pan has cooled and stuff is stuck, put water in the pan and heat it up on the stove...it'll come loose just fine.

Absolutely, Robo. I NEVER put cold or even warm water into a hot pan. Good way to ruin a pan.

"thermal shock" which can warp or crack a pan is plunging a hot pan into a sinkful of cold water. Puting some water (warm or hot into a pan on the stove ) really shouldn't damage a good heavy pan. But if the pan has cooled and stuff is stuck, put water in the pan and heat it up on the stove...it'll come loose just fine.

I don't know about you, but I never have a sinkful of cold water. I was suggesting putting some water into the still hot pan to "deglaze" the pan, making it easier to clean. That works for me and has never caused a warped pan.

I don't know about you, but I never have a sinkful of cold water. I was suggesting putting some water into the still hot pan to "deglaze" the pan, making it easier to clean. That works for me and has never caused a warped pan.
People who do the two sink wash method have a sink full of cold water sometimes. As we learned from another thread, some people use cold water to wash their dishes.

The other thing that will cause thermal shock is taking a hot pan and putting it under cold running water.

Deglazing after cooking, whether making a sauce or not, is the best way to clean a pan. Pour some liquid in the pan while it is still on the stove and scrape up the bits. Cleanup will be a breeze. If I do not feel like waiting then I will wait just a very short time for the pan to cool off just a little bit and then wash under the hottest water I can stand. That way to pan will not go into thermal shock and will not warp.

You can put some vinegar and boil. Or else leave it to soak overnight and the next day

it will come off easily

If it's a non-stick pan I always wait until it cools down then wash it like i would any other pot.....Except my Dutch Oven of course. ;)

Every once in awhile my stainless steel pan will cause food to stick. I just run very hot water into the pan, add a squirt of Dawn detergent and let it sit on the stove til dinner is done. I then clean the pan and if any stubborn pieces stick, I use SOS pads. Never had a problem. This is why I love my Cast Iron. Never sticks.

When my food sticks to the pan, I like to put some wine vinegar, boil it and switch it off. Let cool. It works like magic.

I do the same thing. Sometimes you get oil stains on the sides so I'll use the blue Scotchbrite pads and some BKF.

I rarely use a nonstick pan, but when I do it's just soap and water.

Back
Top Bottom