Where can I find a bottle to store liquids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Okay this is going to sound like a very stupid question, but where can I find bottles that can store liquids such as simple syrup? It seems very obvious but I just cannot think of how to actually store something like that.

Something like simple syrup can be stored in either glass or plastic, I would store anything containing oil in glass or polycarbonate plastic.

Check out the dollar stores, K-mart, Walmart, Target, etc. - I just recycle bottles from other things, like water bottles that have a little "valve" on the top (pull to open/push to close).

As I buy glass bottles of cool drinks and other products, I sometimes wash them out and store them so I have a range of glass bottles so that I can empty leftovers into them. Glass doesn't retain smells as easily as plastic and so last a long time. For something like syrup, a recycled ketchup bottle works well as the plastic is better suited to getting the last of the syrup out and also has that handy pourer. But if you don't have one to hand, you can buy (empty) plastic mustard/sauce bottles from shops that sell plastic ware.

You know what I store most of my liquid stuff in? Generic plastic ketchup squeeze bottles (they're usually sold with the barbecue stuff).

They're ridiculously easy to label, anytime you just need a small enough you can squirt it right out the cap, and they take up next to no space.

I recycle my ketchup bottles. I wash them out and run through the dishwasher top rack. Syrup goes is and squeezes out nice. No extra cost involved. I also use old mason/canning jars. You can get these plastic screw caps to fit them (made by Ball Jars and sold on line at Polsteins).

Hey, you'll find great bottles with those wired seals at the thrift stores. I have a collection of them on a basement shelf, for vinegars and hot sauces, as well as homemade liquers like kahlua. I'm totally for glass! you know they won't find it has leached into the food, like they're always finding with plastic bottles. I try to store all my leftovers in glass too. Go Glass

I too recycle bottles and jars. Wash them thoroughly with hot water and soap making sure they don't still smell of the previous ingredients. I like storing liquids in glass jars and bottles and I've already paid for them so why not use them again and again? I keep simple syrup in the fridge all summer long for iced tea and lemonade and store it in small ketchup or similar bottles.

I use glass over again rather than plastic because glass doesn't retain the odor of previous foods.

I store small amounts of Extra Virgin Olive oil, really good stuff, in those plastic ketchup containers with the tiny hole at the top. This makes drizzling very easy and very controlable.

Last edited:
I happened to buy one of those specialty soft drinks (Stewart's Cream Soda) in glass bottles (with bottle caps too) and realized my pouring spouts from my bar fit nicely in them and they were a nice size for holding various vinegars and other liquids I use regularly. No more having to take caps on and off. Just grab and pour. Used my printer and address labels to put labels on the bottles.

Back
Top Bottom