Who Owns a Mortar & Pestle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
Well, long before the food processor and grinder ever came along - and that was eons later, next to the knife, THIS tool did all of the mashing and pulverizing of most soft and semi-soft foods, garlic, onions, herbs and spices.

Looks like it was used during ancient Biblical times.

Today, people STILL like to use it just to get the feel of using their hands to grind or mash food with this tool. I was told that it makes great pesto sauce for pasta.

For those of you who might not know what this tool looks like, go to http:// CHEFS - Search Results and view the tool which appears in the extrem left of the blocks on the page.

Okay.
I've never actually had to use one of those. But I have seen many of them
I've seen some made of stone, or marble. Are they more expensive, or close the price of a food processor? I don't even know the price of either of them.
:P

I have had the same mortle and pestle for over 30 years, is kinda a rough ceramic deal and I am embarrassed to say that the only thing I use it, daily, for is to grind pepper corns.

goboenomo said:
Okay.
I've seen some made of stone, or marble. Are they more expensive, or close the price of a food processor? I don't even know the price of either of them.

Go to Cooking.com and look up mortar and pestle - you'll get all the varieties they carry.

I have a porcelain one that isn't really good for anthing, my marble one gets used a lot, my small molcajete gets used quite frequently and my large molcajete (53 pounds) doesn't get used that much. :rolleyes: Too hard to lift and clean! I still haven't seasoned it fully - it's heavy as heck and HUGE!

Short story - about 1967 or so we were in some remote islands in the South Pacific. We apparently startled some natives who went to hide amongst the pineapples and such. A well-worn mortar and pestle made of lava rock was there with something in it. Even at the age of 12 I thought that mortar and pestle was beautiful and I don't know why but that is something I have never forgotten.

Yes, mine is a Mason Cash ceramic. I use it if I want something like cracked peppercorns, or to mash fresh herbs and garlic and stuff into a paste, etc.

They aren't the cheapest ones around, but they have been in the business since the early 1800's. Really good stuff. :chef:

goboenomo said:
Okay.

Typically they are not even close to the price of a food processor, but they don't really take the place of one either. A mortar and pestle is a separate and unique tool, and although a processor can do some of the things that a mortar can, it won't be the same. For smaller amounts the food processor won't even come close.

I'm getting a stainless steel one one under the tree this year. Does the material matter? or is it just aesthetics?

goboenomo said:
Okay.

I'd say that they are way cheaper than a food processor because this tool requires you to use elbow grease (your hands and arms), while a food processor works with motor power.

And BTW, now I remember!! I DID actually buy one before! It's one that's made from pewter. But I can't find it. It's smaller than the one that I just bought though.

goboenomo said:
Okay.
Gobo, in my humble opinion you are making the wrong comparison. A food processor is like a knife. A mortar and pestle or molcajete is more like a grinder. Even that is confusing because a lot of "grinders" are motorized spinning blades. Think grinder or mill as in two flat pieces of stone or steel rotating in opposite directions crushing stuff in between them.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
I've never seen a wooden one.

woodenMortarAndPestle-A.jpg

Now you have! :)

I have a marble one. I went through a "coriander" phase where most of my recipes used the stuff. Of course, I'm too hoity toity just used pre-ground stuff.

Too much work, IMO. I went and bought a coffee grinder for herbs, and for pastes I have a little tiny mini food processor. Suits me just fine :P

vyapti said:
I'm getting a stainless steel one one under the tree this year. Does the material matter? or is it just aesthetics?

I like one in which the surface has a bit more friction.... I'd think it would be tough to chase anything hard like peppercorns around a stainless steel one. But then, I've never seen a steel one, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

vyapti said:

Hi vyapti,

As long as the mortar has some gripping power i.e., something for the spices/herbs/whatever you are grinding, can stick to a bit. My marble one has light ridges all inside it. The molcajetes are rough by nature. As long as it's not slick it will be ok. If it's slick you can't get a good grip on the food to mash it (especially peppercorns - they go flying out!!!).

Never owned a decent one until I moved here to Thailand where a mortar and pestle are a necessity in Thai cuisine. What I have now is a tall (or does one say deep?) one made of baked clay. I like it because of the snug fit of the mortar and the pestle. Also, because of the high sides, spice particles don't go flying out.

I'm now on the look out for a heftier set made of marble for making curries from scratch.

i have a small stone m & p.

the texture of the inside surface is critical. i guess you could score a stainless steel one with a dremel tool to give it a similar effect.

the secret of my chili is making my own chili powder in the m & p.

i forget who mentioned it here earlier, but i totally agree that the flavor of herbs and spices crushed in it is somewhat greater than simply mashed and chopped.

A wooden one and a brass one. The wooden one always smells like fresh oregano, the brass one tends to smell like maxlepi...

The brass one is narrow and deep so suits "jumpy" spices, and the wooden one ... was real pretty so I couldn't resist!

subfuscpersona said:

What a coinsidense though!!

The marble color of the counter is the same color of the mortar and pestal that I just bought!!:chef:

Yes kitchenelf, that's true. The rougher the interior surface, the better. So that
food can be processed faster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom