Who Owns a Mortar & Pestle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that I bought a very heavy granite one the other day, I think it's the best one to have.

I mean some like the wooden, plastic and metal ones, but I now think the granite one is great!! Less chance of it moving across the table during use.

And stuff has the rough surface to cling to, making processing the food easier.

Last edited:
Corey, of course you did well to own one. It's a keeper and will not let you down. You should have seen my other granite mortar in my storeroom which is 2 times the breadth of the computer keyboard!! It was given to me by an old neighbour and it takes 2 persons to carry it!! She used to grind spices for her Indian curries. Since moving here, I also own a wooden and brass ones that are used strictly for preparation of ingredients for Greek dips and desserts.

Last edited:
Where exactly do you keep this heavy monstrous thing if it takes two people to carry it?

Somewhere in the kitchen, I hope!!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have a standard one similar to yours which I am now using. So obviously the monster has to be kept in the storeroom for now until I shift house in the not too distant future.

I don't use one in the restaurant, but when I entertain or host a cooking class I love using a Mortar & Pestle. I really like the texture of the product when I am done. Like someone had already noted it looks good in the kitchen, it's versatile and does not take up much space.
Mark

I've got a marble pestle & mortar. Good for grinding up spices for a small dinner, like 3-4 people. Any more, and I use a coffee grinder.
There's also a wooden one in the house, used for crushing garlic cloves with salt. Not very effective , in my opinion - the marble one is much better.

Uncle Bob said:
Old time Pharmacist used them as well....Notice them sitting around in Pharmacys...as decorations made of plastic.

Actually they are extremely practical in pharmacy practice, a marble mortar and pestle grinds pills better than anything else, we use ours almost everyday for making suspensions, creams, ect.

I actually have a mortar and pestle but I'm scared to use it b/c it was given to me in the white coat ceremony on the first day of pharmacy school. I've been meaning to buy one to actually use for cooking. How much do they usually run?

I now own a small stone one that I use for grinding spices. I used to own a larger marble one, but gave it away during a move. I really use this tiny one more than I ever used the larger marble one.

I have a marble one that I really love to use. There is something about really getting into preparing spices and garlic, etc.:cool:

I have two large marble ones (gorgeous green one and a white with gray streaks) from India, one wooden one from Egypt--not very good, and a Japanese mortar and pestle that I bought at a local kitchen shop. The Japanese is the most efficient as the grinding surface is made of coarse cross hatchings to rub spices, etc., against and actually works better than a smooth marble or wooden surfaces--but I use them all. Can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom