Wooden Cutting Board Made from a Tree Stump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Assistant Cook
I've seen cutting boards in Mexico used by the taqueros in their taco stands and also used by a few asian cooks here in Chinatown that were made directly from one tree.

The boards are irregularly round about 12 to 18 inches in diameter and 2 to 4 inches thick. The circular tree rings are actually visible!

Some of them might still have tree bark on the edge of the board, and they all maintain the imperfect round shape of a tree slab.

I know these boards are probably tough on knives because of the circular grain pattern, but they look awesome. Heck, my knives aren't that great anyway.

Does anyone know where I can purchase one online or in the Los Angeles area?

Thank you for any help.

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that the people who own those actually made them by cutting a tree themselves. I have never seen or heard of anyone actually purchasing one like that, but that certainly doesn't mean someone doesn't sell them. Anyone else have any info on this?

Welcome to the board Jim!

I know the boards you're talking about - and they are just slices of a hardwood tree trunk which was preferably cut down when the sap was down. They appear to be very common in Asian kitchens (from what I have seen on TV) but unless you know someone who can cut a slice of a tree for you I wouldn't have any idea as to where to get one.

Since you have seen them in the Chinatown in your area .... ask someone who has one as to where you might be able to get one.

As for being hard on your knives ... they are probably the least damaging since they are "end grain" (the best kind of board to have because the blade of the knife goes between the wood fibers instead of cutting the wood "across the grain" like edge grain boards). The only problem I can see would be that it might be more prone to splitting as it dries out. But, perhaps that can be reduced by keeping it oiled with mineral oil? I don't know - I don't have one.

I am not sure but I hope this helps..........
Family Tree Service

................. 816-234-TREE,

its a tree removal service. Maybe they can get it small enough so you can take a piece and treat it , soak it, oil it........ then it's for your kitchen. Or at least small enough that you can get it to a wood working shop where they might shape or smooth or however prepare it for you. I'm pretty certain it would need the soaking and oiling. Check yellow pages.

The problem in making these is, as Michael in FtW mentioned they need to be cut when the sap is down usually that means the winter time when the trees are dormant. Next they have to be dried very slowly or you get cracks, splits and checking. Probably pretty hard for most people to make them yourself. I've made tables with trees cut like that and there is a lot of work that goes into making sure they are dry enough.

Geez! Haven't you guys discovered Google? A search for "tree stump cutting board" brought up a slew of hits for stores that sell this one, made of kiln-dried maple cut from fallen trees:

14635_lg.jpg

It's $75 from this place -- and I think that's a pretty fair price even though it's only about 11 inches across.

I bet you could find a local sawmill in your area where they would be glad to sell you a slice of tree at a very nominal price. Check your yellow pages for a place in your area.

If that fails and you are interested contact me by PM and I'll mail you a piece for free. We just cut down some Poplar trees in our backyard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom