World's Best Mandoline...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf and Essiebunny,
I stayed up late last night making Pommes Sufflees LOL.. they looked perfect. I never before had such high percentage of nice puffed pommes, when cutting by hand was lucky if 40% of them will puff.
I think I will prepare a Gratin dauphinois tonight, my younger daughter loves potatoes so she will help me eating LOL

The du Buyer V slicer Mandoline is top line. Chefs catalog carries it.

Microplane V slicer is simpler and very good but only slices, doesn't do julienne etc.

Oxo makes a reasonable one for about $60. (blade could be sharper imo)

Oxo food mill is great tho.

i thought they "pulled" the microplane v-slicer off the market?

i never found out why... but i've heard that it is unavailable and won't be "released" until fall.

what gives?

my hubby is a nut.. I said to him , I want a mandoline, he says you want to play a mandoline? I said nooooooooo it is for slicing. :wacko:

LadyCook61,
The mandoline (tool) got the name from the instrument because it slices so precisely and easily that some French cook thought it played just like a mandoline.
At least, that is the story I was told.

I really do enjoy my Bron mandoline. I just made cucumber salad, slicing the cukes quickly into beautiful thin pieces. This device makes me look really good.

Essiebunny,
I prepared some passion fruit mousse today and just for a try, I sliced kiwis to put on top. The dish looked very professional, next time I will see if I can measure how thin I can go and take some pictures.

Essiebunny has me thinking I need a mandoline! :LOL:

So my question is for Bron owners, did you get the "Pro Stainless Steel Mandoline" or the "Original Heavy Duty" one?

LadyCook61,
I purchased the Classic Mandoline, 10/3 mm blades version (37L). It came with a Guard already (the vegetable grab carrier).
Note this mandoline is also available with other cutters: 7/3 mm for strawpotatoes and 4.5/2 mm for julienne. I believe Bron sells the cutters separately to retrofit whichever model you buy.
This is the link from Bron's site: Bron-Coucke, kitchen hardware :

LadyCook61,
I purchased the Classic Mandoline, 10/3 mm blades version (37L). It came with a Guard already (the vegetable grab carrier).
Note this mandoline is also available with other cutters: 7/3 mm for strawpotatoes and 4.5/2 mm for julienne. I believe Bron sells the cutters separately to retrofit whichever model you buy.
This is the link from Bron's site: Bron-Coucke, kitchen hardware :

thank you for your reply and link.

Thanks, Uncle Bob! I should have ordered the butcher's glove but completely forgot and I wasn't sure what size to get. I'll have pick one up at a store where I can try it on. I do have one of those thermal pot holder gloves that I think I'll use in the meantime. Can't wait!

Thanks, Lady! You got the dutch oven, and made that wonderful bread, too. It'll be some time before I can get a DO.

What are the advantages of a mandoline over a food processor with chopping attachments?

Is it because it's smaller and easier to clean? More chopping options as far as thickness, etc?

Diane

With most mandolins you can adjust the thickness of the slice. you can not usually do that with a FP.

Back
Top Bottom