"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Come one, come all! Who makes the Rolls-Royce of Mandolines?????

I want one!!

Haha!!

I like your post that started this thread. Where was this one all this time? Must have missed this one.

Anyway my mandoline is the Oxo. Excellent!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #62
Master Chef

I bought the Bron professional yesterday, and I didn't even use it , I am returning it to the store. Hubby talked me out of having one. , tells me I don't need fancy slices.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #63
Senior Cook

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you're returning yours, Lady. But it's not just about fancy slices but rather ease of slicing. I make some dishes that requires a lot of jullienne so the Bron will come in very handy and save me quite a bit of time.

Mine was delivered on Saturday afternoon and sad to say, I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did read through the (small) manual and played around with it to get familiar. At this rate, I won't be able to use it until Saturday. DH wants homemade hash browns for breakfast.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you're returning yours, Lady. But it's not just about fancy slices but rather ease of slicing. I make some dishes that requires a lot of jullienne so the Bron will come in very handy and save me quite a bit of time.

Mine was delivered on Saturday afternoon and sad to say, I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did read through the (small) manual and played around with it to get familiar. At this rate, I won't be able to use it until Saturday. DH wants homemade hash browns for breakfast.
well he says food processor slices just as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #65
Senior Cook

lol! Well, DH didn't quite understand why I needed a mandoline either. He said, "don't you already have things that can do that?" (meaning the grater and my food processor) I said yes, but I still want one. He just raised his hands and said, okay.

He knows me so well. He knows that once I get something in my head, it won't go away until I get it (or until I pester him until he gives in) hehe. I'm also a gadget freak.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #66
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
dianabell,
As you and GB stated, with the mandoline you have more control over the type and thickness of the slices. I have a nice Kitchen Aid food processor, but I never use it. Between the mandoline, the grater and the hand blender I have no need for it.

LadyCook61,
Sorry to hear that, I use mine often specially for potatoes and jullienes.
If this conversation would happened a while ago, I would had traded you my FP for your mandoline.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #67
Assistant Cook

wysiwg & GB,

Thanks for the info. I've been very interested in finding ways to be more efficient in the kitchen. I think I'll add this to my "must have list." Just like we need more than one skillet or knife or pot for different jobs, now I see why we need more than one way to chop chop!

Diane
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #68
Senior Cook

I have not used my food processor for grating, shredding, etc. in over 10 years. I just never liked the results, except for grating cheese. I've been doing all that by hand. So I have a feeling my new mandoline will become indispensable.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
well he says food processor slices just as well.
But a food processor does not slice NEAR as thin as a mandoline - nor does it have the capabilities to do some of the other slices. That's what a mandoline is for - REALLY, REALLY thin slices, or really thick!!! A FP does NOT do the same thing

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #70
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
But a food processor does not slice NEAR as thin as a mandoline - nor does it have the capabilities to do some of the other slices. That's what a mandoline is for - REALLY, REALLY thin slices, or really thick!!! A FP does NOT do the same thing
you know that and I know that.. but try explaining to a former truck driver who ate at truck stops.