World's Best Mandoline...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a V-Slicer (made in Germany) which I like. Unlike my old traditional wooden mandoline the V Slicer has a gadget to hold the thing being sliced.

I like my German made V slicer too. The holder thingy works really well. I bought a cut-resistant glove, but I almost never use it with the V slicer - I use the holder thingy.

My only complaint is that the julienne doesn't cut thicker French fry pieces.

This is the one I use. A very classic one made in France
46bis.gif

Really like it but I am afraid to cut myself...

Borner V-Slicer. $40. Maybe a $200 - $300 mandoline would be better, but for that price, I'm not going to find out. Even with reduced dexterity and strength, I have no problem with the Borner.

USE THE SAFETY HOLDER. It is eminently easy to use - if I, who have trouble holding on to a knife, find it easy to use, trust me, it is easy to use.

I only wish I'd gotten one sooner - I've always been, shall we say, CAUTIOUS about mandolines. The Borner is really really safe, works very well for everything I need to do (including making very fine matchsticks of ginger, something that easily clogs up most shredders and graters). I've got most of the stand-alone graters and slicers as well (like the curly slicer), also extra inserts for the V-slicer itself.

I got the "classic" version, not the pro. The Pro/newer versions have higher sides and leave more waste.

Borner V-Slicer. $40. Maybe a $200 - $300 mandoline would be better, but for that price, I'm not going to find out. Even with reduced dexterity and strength, I have no problem with the Borner.

USE THE SAFETY HOLDER. It is eminently easy to use - if I, who have trouble holding on to a knife, find it easy to use, trust me, it is easy to use.

I only wish I'd gotten one sooner - I've always been, shall we say, CAUTIOUS about mandolines. The Borner is really really safe, works very well for everything I need to do (including making very fine matchsticks of ginger, something that easily clogs up most shredders and graters). I've got most of the stand-alone graters and slicers as well (like the curly slicer), also extra inserts for the V-slicer itself.

I got the "classic" version, not the pro. The Pro/newer versions have higher sides and leave more waste.
I didn't know you could get extra inserts. Where did you get them? I can't find any on Amazon.ca.

I would use mine more often if it took less space in the dish drying rack.

BTW, nice to see you Kitchen Barbarian. It's been a while.

I have a Borner V-slicer. I re-assemble it after washing and let it dry in the plastic storage holder, standing upright.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom