"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #81
Assistant Cook

I am new to this forum so bear with me…..
Since this thread is older and there may be newer more updated information I am bringing it back.
I am looking for a mandolin slicer. I used to have an inexpensive one. I think I got it from Pampered Chef over 20 years ago. It served its purpose at the time but eventually the blade wore out and it didn’t work well anymore.
I know there are better quality ones out there so I am looking for some suggestions. I have read through some of the posts from this old thread and see a few people recommend the Bron Mandoline Slicer which is a higher end model but everything I have read about it so far are good reviews. I really want a mandolin that is capable of slicing paper thin.

My biggest concern with any of the models is the blade dulling and are replacement blades available for many of these models?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamafoodie View Post
I am new to this forum so bear with me…..
Since this thread is older and there may be newer more updated information I am bringing it back.
I am looking for a mandolin slicer. I used to have an inexpensive one. I think I got it from Pampered Chef over 20 years ago. It served its purpose at the time but eventually the blade wore out and it didn’t work well anymore.
I know there are better quality ones out there so I am looking for some suggestions. I have read through some of the posts from this old thread and see a few people recommend the Bron Mandoline Slicer which is a higher end model but everything I have read about it so far are good reviews. I really want a mandolin that is capable of slicing paper thin.

My biggest concern with any of the models is the blade dulling and are replacement blades available for many of these models?
I have an Oxo from Amazon, replaceable blades, works great.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #83
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have an Oxo from Amazon, replaceable blades, works great.
Do you know which model it is? I looked at a couple of OxO brands yesterday in a cooking store . One was the V-slicer style which was $39.99 and the other was a regular mandolin with 3 different blades for $69.99. I am primarily looking for one that is capable of slicing very thin slices for making beet chips and different types of gratins.
They really range in price from $30-all the way to commercial ones for $300.00 or more. I don't need one that expensive but I want to make sure it is better than the Pampered Chef one I ended up giving away to a local thrift store.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamafoodie View Post

Do you know which model it is? I looked at a couple of OxO brands yesterday in a cooking store . One was the V-slicer style which was $39.99 and the other was a regular mandolin with 3 different blades for $69.99. I am primarily looking for one that is capable of slicing very thin slices for making beet chips and different types of gratins.
They really range in price from $30-all the way to commercial ones for $300.00 or more. I don't need one that expensive but I want to make sure it is better than the Pampered Chef one I ended up giving away to a local thrift store.
Of course you'd ask! Mine has a twisty knob, brings up different blade types and heights. Am thinking it's the $69 one. It makes good microwave potato chips paper thin, and does everything else well.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #85
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
It makes good microwave potato chips paper thin, and does everything else well.

Microwave chips? How do you do that???
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Here's one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/microwave-potato-chips/

You can use the glass turntable from your microwave rather than a plate. No need for parchment paper. They're really good, and now you reminded me what to do with all the fingerlings from Costco!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

I have the Oxo V slicer. Love it. Never a problem. Resonably priced and blades are replacable. http://www.oxo.com/p-552-v-blade-mandoline-slicer.aspx
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #88
Head Chef

Hi Foodie
Welcome to DC. I have both Mandoline's Straight and V slicer I like the V slicer
Best I can slice a tomato paper thin and Oxy Is a good brand.

Josie
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #89
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Here's one: Microwave Potato Chips Recipe - Allrecipes.com

You can use the glass turntable from your microwave rather than a plate. No need for parchment paper. They're really good, and now you reminded me what to do with all the fingerlings from Costco!

Thanks so much! I had no idea this could be done and I just love chips! Buying an actual bag of them is out of the question as I have no will power where chips are concerned. Once the bag is open, well... let's just say they never get stale or soggy at my house ;) Doing up just one potato seems pretty harmless however
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

Thanks so much! I had no idea this could be done and I just love chips! Buying an actual bag of them is out of the question as I have no will power where chips are concerned. Once the bag is open, well... let's just say they never get stale or soggy at my house ;) Doing up just one potato seems pretty harmless however
Thanks for the reminder, Janet! I used to make these all the time, with the sprinkle seasonings from Kernal Seasons. And you can make one potato last forever.