"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara
Slap Chop. All I wanted was one of those cheap glass jars with a simple screw on lid and a blade attached to a simple plunger. Mom had one, I used to have one. It was cheap and it worked. HAH!

The Slap Chopper came out and although it was $15 I had to have it. What a waste of money. The first chop ended up with the blades completely stuck in an onion half. It was very difficult to get the onion out from between the blades without cutting myself. Then further chopping ended up with some pieces untouched around the edges. Some were practically liquid and others in chunks. It was horrible to clean and definitely dangerous. Those blades are sharp. It sits unused in a cabinet.
My mom had one of those too, and when a blade broke she couldn't find another one like it! I would love to have one of those too! As for useless, the solid flavor injector. It's easier to just stab the meat with a knife, and poke the clove of garlic or whatever into the meat. Also, my pineapple slicer. It's fast, but I'm pretty fast with a knife too, and after the first time I used it, and I saw how much fruit went to waste (you get the same size cylinder of pineapple, no matter the size of the one you are cutting), my slicer went right in the goodwill box. I could never see much use for salad spinners either. Seems like they take up too much room for what they do...

Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #22
Head Chef

Pampered Chef makes a small chopper, although it seems a little pricey ($30 range)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
My mom had one of those too, and when a blade broke she couldn't find another one like it! I would love to have one of those too! As for useless, the solid flavor injector. It's easier to just stab the meat with a knife, and poke the clove of garlic or whatever into the meat. Also, my pineapple slicer. It's fast, but I'm pretty fast with a knife too, and after the first time I used it, and I saw how much fruit went to waste (you get the same size cylinder of pineapple, no matter the size of the one you are cutting), my slicer went right in the goodwill box. I could never see much use for salad spinners either. Seems like they take up too much room for what they do...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I do love all of the fun things I can get to play with in the kitchen. It is also fun to shop for them, and I am really not much of a shopper. I baught a cap that goes on a bottle of sauce for the barbe. It screws on and has a brush on it. I have had it in "the drawer" for two years. I haven't used it yet...but maybe some day! I have a veggie scrubber that fits in your hand with a finger holder (like a ring). I use that all of the time.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
Head Chef

A lot of the useless gadgets I have have been in a box that I buy at a yard sale to get at a piece of CI or copper.

My problem is that I seldom throw these things away, and they just take up space.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
Executive Chef

A $40.00 value for only $19.95! But wait, if you order now we'll include another one free, just pay separate shipping and handling. That's an $80.00 value for just $19.95! Here's how to order!

The only things that we really don't use are some of the attachments for the mandolin and pasta machine.

Craig
Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #26
Cook

The Magic Bullet! I thought it looked amazing on TV... taking all the work out of grating, chopping, mincing, etc.... but it turns out it only really purees, and doesn't puree very well for that matter. It was such a disappointment!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
A mezzaluna didn't do much for me.
I thought I would let my daughter use it but no.

Big huge grill tools were a gift never used.

Fish grill basket never used.
We have three mezzaluna and use them in conjunction with wood bowls to chop spinach, chard, kale, and basil, to coarsely chop nuts, and to slice pizza. Find them a lot easier to clean than a blender or food processor. They do require occasional sharpening and I prefer the single bladed variety, of which we have two.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #28
Head Chef

Those egg rings for making egg muffins. They're non-stick and even when I spray a little Pam on them, they still require a thorough cleaning afterwards.
I believe the fast food restaurants use something else for cooking up the egg for breakfast sandwiches.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Pampered Chef makes a small chopper, although it seems a little pricey ($30 range)
I like and use mine. Got it for free when I threw a party.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Those egg rings for making egg muffins. They're non-stick and even when I spray a little Pam on them, they still require a thorough cleaning afterwards.
I believe the fast food restaurants use something else for cooking up the egg for breakfast sandwiches.
Wouldn't it be funny if they use tuna cans with the top and bottom removed like my aunt used to use for poached eggs and egg mcmuffins.

Tags
kitchen