"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Head Chef

Worst Kitchen Gadgets

After a current thread concerning the garlic press, which appears to have no defenders, I got to wondering about other kitchen gadgets we accumulate that seem to serve no purpose or do their job poorly. One other device in my once used drawer is an herb grinder, looking something like a small cheese grater. I used it once, and have not touched it since.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have a gadget that is supposed to mince herbs - you roll it back and forth over the herbs and the little sharp wheels turn to mince the herbs. It hasn't proved very helpful to me. I wish it had another use.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Slap Chop. All I wanted was one of those cheap glass jars with a simple screw on lid and a blade attached to a simple plunger. Mom had one, I used to have one. It was cheap and it worked. HAH!

The Slap Chopper came out and although it was $15 I had to have it. What a waste of money. The first chop ended up with the blades completely stuck in an onion half. It was very difficult to get the onion out from between the blades without cutting myself. Then further chopping ended up with some pieces untouched around the edges. Some were practically liquid and others in chunks. It was horrible to clean and definitely dangerous. Those blades are sharp. It sits unused in a cabinet.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
I have a gadget that is supposed to mince herbs - you roll it back and forth over the herbs and the little sharp wheels turn to mince the herbs. It hasn't proved very helpful to me. I wish it had another use.

Licia, that one is great for cutting home made noodles.

Josie
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I've got something in a box I don't even know what it's used for. I moved it from one house to another though. Does that count?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Zhizara, I know exactly what kind of device you are talking about and I have 2 of them. One for chopping walnuts and the other for pecans. I keep them in the freezer and I always have chopped nuts or nuts ready to be chopped. I've had mine forever, but I've seen them at my area Ace hardware store.

As for all the other devices, I follow Alton Brown's philosophy...nothing, except a fire extinguisher, should be a "unitasker." I've discovered all manner of extra uses for many of my kitchen tools.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer that sits unused in my cabinet. I either do it with a paring knife or use an apple wedger depending on what I'm doing with the apples.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

the one touch can opener that was sold widely about five years ago. useless, took more time to open a can than the hand one. been long gone in the garbage. i have learned to toss if they don't work.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
My garlic press is the only truly useless gadget in my kitchen. I've found a use for everything else I've bought, but I rarely buy gadgets unless I know they're going to work for me. My twisty garlic mincer was a rare purchase but has worked out sooooooo well.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer that sits unused in my cabinet. I either do it with a paring knife or use an apple wedger depending on what I'm doing with the apples.
Oh I forgot about that. I had someone give me theirs when they were moving and they were offloading some unwanted gadgets. I've never used it because I learned out to use a paring knife when I was 6 and it's much faster and easier to clean.

Tags
kitchen