"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pac, were they folded in the box they came in, I mean across the zipper part? If so, SB has the right of it, the tracks are misaligned.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Good idea.

I just tried sealing them again. I pushed the zipper thing along with my thumb and index finger sealing the Ziploc as I went. And apparently it does seal from only one direction. So hopefully it is sealed all the way across now and I don't lose anymore liquid.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Yes, it should seal from one end and unseal the other direction. When you take them out of the box you will notice that they are sealed, you must "open" them with the zipper thingy, in order to use them. ( if you tried opening them by "pulling" or separating manually, the zipper pull will be in the wrong position) and unless they are misaligned they should work fine. I even use the "cheapo" dollar store ones with success, I hope all will be well with the bacon prep now!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

That is two votes for the dollar store. Forget the brand name and head for the dollar store. Save money and aggravation. Along with your pork bellies.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You probably got left-handed ones. Look for the right-handed ones next time. They'll work better.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I must say Chief, you and Andy are so helpful. The next time I have a problem, I will know right where to go. Straight to hell for even listening or entertaining any thought of listening to either one of you. The two of you are definitely an asset to this forum. Even for a laugh or two. Thank you.
Seriously, it is correct that a zipper bag must be opened with the zipper from the get-go. My problem is that zipper bags have only one seal. I have never had much luck with them. They were completely closed, and filled with food, usually with some kind of broth along with the food. Then, when the food filled bag was placed in the fridge, or freezer, the seal failed and spilled all over, hence the problem I have with zipper bags. I use the double seal bags exclusively. If Arthur decides to take up residence in my hands, I will simply use wire-bending pliers. They have rounded jaws, and so should slide along the plastic without problem.

Anyways, I don't like zipper bags as they have failed me.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't know, Dawg. It stinks, that's for sure.
I bought these large bags with the sole intent to use when I'm brining pork belly and the first two I use have the same problem.

When all else fails, use duct tape. It really is "the Force." It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

I never trust plastic bags with liquid in them. I always put them in a dish, bowl or pan. Be advised, they only leak when you place them directly on the refrigerator shelf with no dish or pan under them.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
When all else fails, use duct tape. It really is "the Force." It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together.
Mine has a "Hello Kitty" side and a light side...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

They are on a half sheet pan, Andy.
Been there done that with nothing underneath meat in the fridge.