"Zipper" storage bags ineptitude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe I got along all these years without a food sealer. It doesn't matter to me what brand, I have experience with only the one. I recall the TV advertising for years, and somehow it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe because I have double the purchase resistance to "Seen on TV" products.

They're so handy they're worth it even if you use yours only rarely.

I'm curious if anybody else has used theirs to seal plastic bags that weren't designed for sealing. I caution against trying to vacuum seal ordinary bags unless they're heavy duty.

Getting back to the OP, I suspect you had a defective batch. Mostly I'm too frugal to bother buying zip lock type baggies, just because the tie wrap equivalents are so much cheaper (like one-third the cost?)

I like to buy the expensive ones only for non-food use: like bagging photo, i-something and other types of electronic gear and attachments, because they keep my electronics dust free and I can seal and reseal them often.

So please send in your comments about heat sealing bags that weren't designed for heat sealing.

Greg, try it with chip and snack bags, works like a charm. As has been said, the sealer thingy will work with anything plastic or plastic-related.

I like this kind of clips:

$T2eC16ZHJG8E9nyfoUI(BRSfpRJcf!~~60_35.JPG

I get a bag for a buck at the dollar store.

I had a bunch of them years ago. They seemed to walk out the door with my kids every time they came to see me. Now I have a bunch of binder clips. :angel:

Could someone please explain what a "finger press" bag is? :huh:

Never mind! I just figured it out! It's a "press seal" bag! Doh!

Last edited:
We all have our moments. Heaven knows I have had more than my share. :angel:

Honestly Addie, I am really quite intelligent! I can spell and add up and everything! :LOL:

Sorry Pac! I hope your sealed bag requirements are now solved. (Is this the Canadian bacon we are talking about by the way?)

Honestly Addie, I am really quite intelligent! I can spell and add up and everything! :LOL:

Sorry Pac! I hope your sealed bag requirements are now solved. (Is this the Canadian bacon we are talking about by the way?)

Well you are one up on me. When it comes to numbers, they are all in my head jumbled and hoping someone comes along and gets them out of there. Thank goodness for my fingers and calculators.

Pac makes his own slab bacon. Not the Canadian type. He cures it in a bag for a couple of days until all the liquid is drawn out. I will let him explain. It is his process, not mine. But I do envy his skill. :angel:

This was for the two bellies of "streaky bacon". The Canadian bacon actually works better in smaller pieces as I like to wrap them first in plastic wrap to help them obtain a round shape as they cure.

And the finger seal bags are the ones you pinch the ziploc closed with your fingers. I like those much better that the ones with the plastic zipper. I think of the "press seal" bags as those newish ones that stick to themselves. Kind of like plastic wrap only thicker. I'm not sure if you have those, but I would gladly send every package of them your way. I hate those things.

This was for the two bellies of "streaky bacon". The Canadian bacon actually works better in smaller pieces as I like to wrap them first in plastic wrap to help them obtain a round shape as they cure.

And the finger seal bags are the ones you pinch the ziploc closed with your fingers. I like those much better that the ones with the plastic zipper. I think of the "press seal" bags as those newish ones that stick to themselves. Kind of like plastic wrap only thicker. I'm not sure if you have those, but I would gladly send every package of them your way. I hate those things.

No, no Pac! I have no need of "fancy" things that don't work! Best they are torpedoed mid-Atlantic I reckon! ;) (If they exist here, I haven't encountered them.)

When you get the "tramlines" aligned, you just run your finger and thumb along and the bag is sealed. "Finger press" to you and " "press seal" to me? :)

Zippy bags? I don't buy them. As has been mentioned, the opening "aperture" is reduced and the chance of getting the zip aligned is about 50/50 in my experience. (I'm not a fan).

Well you are one up on me. When it comes to numbers, they are all in my head jumbled and hoping someone comes along and gets them out of there. Thank goodness for my fingers and calculators.

Pac makes his own slab bacon. Not the Canadian type. He cures it in a bag for a couple of days until all the liquid is drawn out. I will let him explain. It is his process, not mine. But I do envy his skill. :angel:

Addie, fingers and calculators are a true gift! ;) Computers are pretty brilliant too! :wub:

Greg, I know people who buy those rolls of plastic bags one finds in the produce section of supermarkets to use with a vacuum sealer.

Now that would be a great economy of scale! Not only to use the massive roll plastic bags for all your plastic bag needs, but heat 'n seal them too! :)

Like the time I thought I invented the "tempura fried sushi rolls" it appears once again I have just reinvented an idea that many other ppl use. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom