"Zipper" storage bags ineptitude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I have no idea where to post this. I don't recall ever seeing a discussion on baggies :wacko:

I bought some 2.5 gal Hefty storage bags with the zipper. I hate the zipper and have never bought bags with the zipper, but I've handled plenty of them and I apparently do not know how to. It seems it is too easy for the zipper not to work correctly. Sure as doo-doo, I opened two of them up, slid a pork belly into each, and they would not close. No matter where I slide the little plastic zipper thingy the bags remained open.

What's the trick? Can that zipper be broken off and the bags used like regular zip-loc baggies? I'm ready to scream here.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 247
I feel your pain, Pac (well, not quite like your picture, nice likeness BTW), but I hate the zippers! Mine have frequently zipped the zipper thing right off the bag. I have not found any other way to close them, other than squeeze all the air out and use the Seal-a-Meal seal thing on just Seal.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, Pac (well, not quite like your picture), but I hate the zippers! Mine have frequently zipped the zipper thing right off the bag. I have not found any other way to close them, other than squeeze all the air out and use the Seal-a-Meal seal thing.

Whoa. You can heat seal these? Do you think a Foodsaver would work?
Probably worth a try, as my FS doesn't vacuum anymore anyway... My future bacon is really giving up the juices and I know these bags are going to need sealed real soon :ermm:

Whoa. You can heat seal these? Do you think a Foodsaver would work?
Probably worth a try, as my FS doesn't vacuum anymore anyway... My future bacon is really giving up the juices and I know these bags are going to need sealed real soon :ermm:

I just checked it out with a little ziplock bag of leftover expired turkey, just the seal setting, and it worked. I know you can seal leftover potato chips and crackers in their original bags, maybe test something else first.

I was impressed! I'll have to do this with other stuff, it didn't burn or stick.

Last edited:
The zipper part of the bag means the bag doesn't open as fully as finger press bags, making larger items not insert into the top of the bag as easy. Then again, getting a finger press seal on those type bags can be a chore sometimes. Some company will eventually come up with plastic food storage bags with an adhere to itself design, doing away with zippers and finger press type seal type bags.

Last edited:
You probably got left-handed ones. Look for the right-handed ones next time. They'll work better.

You probably got left-handed ones. Look for the right-handed ones next time. They'll work better.

And be sure to curl the left side of your lips upward, into a smirk. And don't forget to squint your eyes at the same time. If you fail to do these things, no only will the bags fail to seal, they sometimes will decide to act like they're sealed. Then, after you put them into the fridge, or freezer, they'll pop open and spill their contents all over everything else.:mad:

One last thing, avoid the bags with the "bag half empty, personality. All ways look for the "bag half full" ones.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I must say Chief, you and Andy are so helpful. The next time I have a problem, I will know right where to go. Straight to hell for even listening or entertaining any thought of listening to either one of you. The two of you are definitely an asset to this forum. Even for a laugh or two. Thank you. :angel:

I dunno pac, I never have problems with those bags. Must be operator error. ;) Then again, the largest I've ever had was a one gallon. Maybe size matters...

Speaking of size, they are too big to fit in my FS unit to try sealing them.

I've read through this whole thread with interest. I used to scoff at the zipper bags, thinking they were someone's idea to help get some of our money in the name of convenience. After all, we already had the finger-press ones.

Then...my not-so-good friend, Arthur, decided to take up residence in my hands, making the finger-press bags nothing short of impossible to close. That's when I changed my attitude about the zipper ones.

However, I should say that I've never encountered any problems sealing/unsealing these types of bags. I'm not much on name-brand anything, so most of the zipper bags I have came from my local Dollar Tree store. They've always performed perfectly.

Sorry you're having difficulties, pacanis. But I think Andy might be on to something.:LOL::LOL:

And be sure to curl the left side of your lips upward, into a smirk. And don't forget to squint your eyes at the same time. If you fail to do these things, no only will the bags fail to seal, they sometimes will decide to act like they're sealed. Then, after you put them into the fridge, or freezer, they'll pop open and spill their contents all over everything else.:mad:

One last thing, avoid the bags with the "bag half empty, personality. All ways look for the "bag half full" ones.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think it also helps to stick your tongue out on that smirking side.

I don't know, Dawg. It stinks, that's for sure.
I bought these large bags with the sole intent to use when I'm brining pork belly and the first two I use have the same problem.

Pac, I am wondering if when you tried to insert the pork belly (which I assume is quite large) that perhaps there was enough pressure applied to skew the closing mechanism from its track enough that it will not zip. I have had this happen the odd time and was able to reposition the (WTH, do you call that thing?) mechanism and viola back in business. ;)

That's a possibility.
So you are saying the piece can be repositioned? Does it make a difference which side it starts closing from?
I should probably figure something out soon. These bellies are really giving up the liquid. I need a better seal than folded over and taped.

Pac, if you don't have any success mechanically sealing the bag and, as you report, tape isn't working, how about trying to fold over the top of the bag(s) and securing them with several binder clips? I always keep several binder clips in my "tools" drawer in the kitchen for assorted uses. They might do the trick if other solutions fail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom