"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Cook

11 x 7 broiler safe baking dish?

I have numerous recipes calling for a 11 x 7 broiler safe baking dish, mostly for casseroles and such that are broiled to brown the stop. The only 11 x 7 dish I own or have seen is Pyrex, which from what I understand is not broiler safe. I've searched Google and Amazon and cannot find anything... where would I find such a pan?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Although this is a bit pricey, this is what they are referring to. There are just as good and similar less expensive ones out there.

And you are right. Pyrex is not safe to use in this manner.

Le Creuset Heritage 4-Qt. Covered Casserole Dish | CHEFScatalog.com

Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Cook

That one says it's 14 x 9 though...?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

That was to show you mainly what you are to look for. Ceramic or stoneware that is oven safe.

Sagaform® Season Stoneware Serving Dish - BedBathandBeyond.com

Denby Ceramic Oblong Dish in Azure - BedBathandBeyond.com

Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That was to show you mainly what you are to look for. Ceramic or stoneware that is oven safe.
Thanks; though, my main issue is the 11 x 7 size. I do already have a ceramic, broiler-safe 13 x 9 dish.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Thanks; though, my main issue is the 11 x 7 size. I do already have a ceramic, broiler-safe 13 x 9 dish.
Two inches are not going to make a big difference, if any difference at all, in your final dish. A recipe is only a guide.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Two inches are not going to make a big difference, if any difference at all, in your final dish. A recipe is only a guide.
It might take less time to bake it all the way through.

It seems to me that I have used Pyrex for this. I won't promise that it is okay, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Pyrex dish when the broiling time is only a minute or three at the end of the baking time.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It might take less time to bake it all the way through.

It seems to me that I have used Pyrex for this. I won't promise that it is okay, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Pyrex dish when the broiling time is only a minute or three at the end of the baking time.
I have to agree with you TL. If the dish has been baking in the oven and is going directly from baking to the broiler for top browning or melting, then there should be no problem. The secret would be in having the extra shelf in place close to the broiler as possible before you start to bake the dish. Then you just have to move it up to the top shelf and change from baking to broiling.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

There's a big difference in the capacity of 11x7 and 13x9-inch pans. The capacity of an 8x8 pan is the same as 11x7 - 6 cups - and probably is about the same depth, so the contents won't spread out too much. They're pretty common, too. That's what I'd use.

Here's a link to a conversion chart Janet posted last year: Baking Pan Size Conversion
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Master Chef

There is a certain type of pottery known as "flameware", both generically and as a product name by Longaberger Baskets. Emile Henry has offered broiler-safe casseroles for years but I've always thought of them as out of my price range. Not because they aren't worth it, but because I can be clumsy in the kitchen. Pretty much most flameware is off limits.

I did risk buying two nice handled soup bowls from Scargo Pottery on Cape Cod a few years back (I tend to buy a bowl from a local pottery as a vacation "souvenir") and find them wonderful for French Onion soup - flameware's broiler-safe qualities are great! Dang, now I want some FO soup!

Tags
baking, oil