"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

2 qt or 5.5 qt AC saucier?

Hi all,

I'm stuck trying to decide between these two sizes. I already have a range of sauce pans from 1 qt to 4.5 qt, as well as a 3 qt Calphalon Tri Ply "chef pan" which is awfully similar to a saucier. Then I have an 8 qt. copper core stock pot (which was a great Marshall's find). (I do have a bit of LC in various sizes). Geez, I'm answering my own question - I don't need anything, lol! I'm just another kitchen equipment junkie. But...cookwarenmore is having the AC sale and I can't resist.

I think the 2 qt would be ideal for actual sauces of course, but the 5.5 qt would also be great for risottos, polenta, etc., among other things. Does it make sense to purchase both of these or is it overkill? I don't have any good friends that have the same passion for this stuff as I do, so I'm looking here for opinions? What do you think?!?!

Old 03-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I would go with the 2 qt. Would make it my special little sauce pan

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Get both (just call me enabler, lol!)!
It doesn't sound like they would be duplicates of anything you already have, and you already seem to have determined what YOU would use them for, so if you have the $, go for it.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
either get the big one, because it will obviously accommodates a smaller load, but not that practical for smaller things, or just get both. It is an investment after all.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I have the 2-qt. and the larger one is on my list - once I had the 2-qt. I knew there were lots of uses for the 5-qt!!

I agree, get both now. ;)
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
DEFINITELY get both if you can swing it! My 5 quart (actually, mine is 5.5 qt) sautoir is my favorite piece of kitchen equipment. Just last night I made chicken and rice in it again. It holds a whole chicken (cut in 10 pieces) with ease, and then goes on to accept the mirepoix and the rice and the stock and the wine... I can leave it on top the stove to simmer on low, or pop it in the oven to cook...

The two quart! My, I'd like to have one of those!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I just checked over their site, and I cannot see a sale on the sauciers. What am I missing?? That being said, I'd buy both if I could afford it!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I 'm a cookware junkie too...get both!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsOats
I just checked over their site, and I cannot see a sale on the sauciers. What am I missing?? That being said, I'd buy both if I could afford it!
They're offering 20% off All Clad irregulars. There's a little notice on the homepage, "Sale time is here!"
Old 03-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

You guys are too cool!

OMG it's like I've found my little nirvana of guilty pleasures - and everyone understands! Thanks for your thoughts - this is one of those things that it's just not too hard to let y'all sway me in the right direction.

I'm going to do it now before I change my mind and reason takes ahold!

Oh - the 20% off price show up in your shopping cart - not on the regular listing page.