"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

3-Ply vs. 5-ply

I think 5-Ply is better and by a noticeable margin. I have some 5-Ply from "Made In" cookware that is stainless-aluminum-stainless-aluminum-stainless, sandwich and also a couple of pieces of All-Clad Copper Core, which I think is stainless-aluminum-stainless-copper-stainless. Both are better than Tri-Ply (stainless-aluminum-stainless). It's not that the Tri-Ply is bad, but I think the 5-Ply has the edge.

I went a little overboard on the cast iron, carbon steel stuff and am having fun re-discovering stainless steel pans.

Also, I have an induction cooktop now and it is so fast and responsive that the legendary heat retention of cast iron doesn't matter so much anymore.

Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Better in what way?

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been using try-ply cookware (All-Clad and other brands) for about 15-20 years now. They perform much better than plain SS. I have no issues with them. My cooking isn't fussy enough that 5-ply or 7-ply cookware would make any difference. I'd bet that in 99.9% of the cases, there is no practical difference.

However, if that's what you want, go for it.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Mainly even heat distribution. It's subtle but noticeable. Also, quicker pre-heat times. Just a little bit of an edge. But now that the 5-Ply are selling at competitive prices, why not?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
Mainly even heat distribution. It's subtle but noticeable. Also, quicker pre-heat times. Just a little bit of an edge. But now that the 5-Ply are selling at competitive prices, why not?
I can't imagine that more and thicker metal heats up faster than less and thinner metal but I'm not a metallurgist.

As I said before, if that's what you want, go for it. If I thought it would make a difference for me, I'd do it.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Oh, I agree. Nothing wrong with Tri-Ply. And the 5-ply has only a very small edge.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
Executive Chef

It makes sense to me that the coper core would be great for spreading heat, since copper is such a good conductor. I'm not as sure about five-ply with just SS and aluminum. But, I have no experience with either one.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this cookware. Food for thought.

CD
Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Senior Cook

The 5 ply are not thicker, as far as I can tell. Mine actually seem to be lighter. I think it is just a more advanced metal fusing technology. The copper core is heavier than the 5-ply aluminum, though. But that's copper. Copper is heavy.