"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
I roast chicken, game hens, duck.....well for that matter, I have cooked most anything I want in a CI camp dutch oven. True, it is a little heavy but it holds heat well and they travel well. I roast birds covered with coals on top and underneath the dutch oven. We have fed many folks at Rendezvous with two 6.5 qt dutch ovens. One with soup or chili, the other with chicken or other fowl. We use a 4 qt for cornbread or biscuits. I really enjoy my Dutch ovens both camping and at home.
__________________

__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I roast chicken, game hens, duck.....well for that matter, I have cooked most anything I want in a CI camp dutch oven. True, it is a little heavy but it holds heat well and they travel well. I roast birds covered with coals on top and underneath the dutch oven. We have fed many folks at Rendezvous with two 6.5 qt dutch ovens. One with soup or chili, the other with chicken or other fowl. We use a 4 qt for cornbread or biscuits. I really enjoy my Dutch ovens both camping and at home.
That's the kind of dutch oven cooking I want to learn how to do. Can't wait for them to get here. I went ahead and got the 9qt to. Knowing the use I'll be getting out of the 7, the 9 would have been an eventual buy anyways.

The great thing about it is I'll never have to buy and baby another set of cookware again. It will still be here long after I'm gone.

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
WOW!

First of all I have to thank you all for the help. Both arrived yesterday.
Made sure I was ready for them. Made my first DO dinner in the 9qt. It was the perfect size for 2 large roaster chickens. I filled it with lots of veggies. Put the chickens on a rack. Let it roast in the oven. I can't remember when I've had a nice roasted dinner like that. It cooked perfectly.

It was so simple and extremely easy to clean up. (Heavy) I'll get used to it. Didn't realize how much more work it was using my old set of pots and pans until I tried these.

Just finished making chile in the 7qt. That's the one I'll probably be using most often. I like to make ahead a few dinners to freeze or use in other dishes. Now I have the best pot for making my tamale fillers.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
A 7 qt sounds about right. Though unless you're feeding a hungry bunch who demand seconds, then go for the larger. Just check such a biggun will fit into your oven.
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
A 7 qt sounds about right. Though unless you're feeding a hungry bunch who demand seconds, then go for the larger. Just check such a biggun will fit into your oven.
Your right, I'm feeding a hungry family. My boys can put it away they ain't so shy

Had a few inches of space all around when I used the 9qt. The oven racks had me a little concerned. They sagged a little from the weight. Not sure if they make oven racks any stronger then what I have. Need to check on that.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Your right, I'm feeding a hungry family. My boys can put it away they ain't so shy

Had a few inches of space all around when I used the 9qt. The oven racks had me a little concerned. They sagged a little from the weight. Not sure if they make oven racks any stronger then what I have. Need to check on that.

Munky.
One other thing you can do with a 'niner' is upside-down, it resembles a bell, and inside on a baking sheet, you could bake a loaf of bread. For thanks to the dough, the pot generates such humidity that the loaf will rise to form the most delicious, thick, toothsome and crunchy crust that alas, your gannets will most enthusiastically devour the lot before you shout "Knife!"

Don't kids just shovel it away?!
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #17
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
One other thing you can do with a 'niner' is upside-down, it resembles a bell, and inside on a baking sheet, you could bake a loaf of bread. For thanks to the dough, the pot generates such humidity that the loaf will rise to form the most delicious, thick, toothsome and crunchy crust that alas, your gannets will most enthusiastically devour the lot before you shout "Knife!"

Don't kids just shovel it away?!
That's a great idea.! Thank you. I love artisan breads, that's a much safer method then some alternatives I've tried to get a crust that good.. Seriously going to try your suggestion soon.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
...The oven racks had me a little concerned. They sagged a little from the weight...

I have a 7.25 Quart LeCrueset DO and have the same problem. Fully loaded that thing put a bend into one of my oven racks. SO made a layer cake and complained the oven wasn't level when it was the bent rack that was causing her the problem. I had to "unbend" it by hand.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.