8-inch skillets... for what use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i've got 3 8-inch fry pans that i've accumulated over the years.

this weekend, while preparing to move, i realized something... i don't use these little guys at all.

do you?

Perfect for frying eggs or a two-egg omlet. Also for pan-frying a single serving of fish, or meat.

Also, use it to make a roux for stews or gumbos.

Make a grilled cheese sandwich.

I have two, a SS clad pan and an aluminum with a teflon interior.

black chef said:
i've got 3 8-inch fry pans that i've accumulated over the years.

this weekend, while preparing to move, i realized something... i don't use these little guys at all.

do you?

Yes (I have two). I like them for making things that I feel have a better presentation if served in smaller, individual servings, like an apple pancake or a mini-frittata.

all the above, plus certain crepe recipes, sauteeing mushroom slivers for garnish, shallots for a dressing, you name it, they are very useful,

Also in my house when cooking for two, if one doesn't like one of the ingredients I can do two small separate pans and please both. Very pro kitchen style...the 8" saute is the most used pan.

Robo410 said:
all the above, plus certain crepe recipes, sauteeing mushroom slivers for garnish, shallots for a dressing, you name it, they are very useful,

Also in my house when cooking for two, if one doesn't like one of the ingredients I can do two small separate pans and please both. Very pro kitchen style...the 8" saute is the most used pan.

Robo, do you find yourself using the 8" sautes more than the 8" fry pans? Just curious...

I also have 2 of these skillets and they get used all the time. It's only Buck and me, so I regularly use one of them to make scrambled eggs for us.

They're also handy for sauteeing small amounts of mirepoix or trinity to be included in a recipe. In a pinch, I've used my non-stick one to make crepes. Although, I do much prefer my crepe pan for making wonderful crepes.

In short, I wouldn't be without my little skillets.

Andy M. said:
Perfect for frying eggs or a two-egg omlet. Also for pan-frying a single serving of fish, or meat.

Also, use it to make a roux for stews or gumbos.

Make a grilled cheese sandwich.

I have two, a SS clad pan and an aluminum with a teflon interior.

I usually do that - make a roux in one for stews and pot roast gravy.

Or to make light thin sauces for shrimp scampi.:chef:

Mine find their way into the depths of the pan cabinet. This is why I've been buying individual pans and not sets.

I have 8" teflon and cast iron pans. Cooking for one, the 8" cast iron is one of the most often used. Could never bring myself to spring for an 8" stainless though.

Jeekinz said:
Mine find their way into the depths of the pan cabinet. This is why I've been buying individual pans and not sets.

Two frying pans came with the Emerilware SS set that I bought in October, '05 - a 10" and an 8".

For steaks, I like to use the cast iron fry pans.

They hold the heat better and there's no worry of burning the SS pans!

I use mine for scrambled and fried eggs, hash brown potatoes, toasting nuts (especially pine nuts), melting butter, sauteeing garlic and onions, sauteeing mushrooms and garlic to top a steak, making a roux, toasting spices, and heating small tortillas.

foodstorm said:
Robo, do you find yourself using the 8" sautes more than the 8" fry pans? Just curious...

Allow me to confuse everyone: it seems only in America do we have the terms backwards thanks to our pioneer ancestors on covered wagons. What we call a frying pan is a saute pan...the sloping edges, the one you can toss the food in like a pro with a bit of practice. What we call a saute pan with straight sides and a lid is a frying pan...used for shallow frying, braising and poaching more than anything else. Sauteuse and Sautoir.

So to answer the question, I use the 8" fry much more than the 8" saute, because I saute in the fry and fry in the saute but prefer a bigger pan for that, 9" or 10" . How's that for confusion?

I am so glad you brought that up Robo. I couldn't agree more that we have those terms backwards.

Robo410 said:
Allow me to confuse everyone: it seems only in America do we have the terms backwards thanks to our pioneer ancestors on covered wagons. What we call a frying pan is a saute pan...the sloping edges, the one you can toss the food in like a pro with a bit of practice. What we call a saute pan with straight sides and a lid is a frying pan...used for shallow frying, braising and poaching more than anything else. Sauteuse and Sautoir.

So to answer the question, I use the 8" fry much more than the 8" saute, because I saute in the fry and fry in the saute but prefer a bigger pan for that, 9" or 10" . How's that for confusion?

Er...thanks for the clarification/confusion, lol!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom