"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I want to bring this topic back up to get some Ideas as to what to do with a Lodge Double Dutch Oven I just picked up. I bought it with the intent of using it as a deep fryer as it seems easier to clean than those "fry daddies". So I have a few questions of my own. (sorry if I steal anybodies thunder)

First anybodies thoughts on deep frying in a dutch oven? It is one of those "pre-seasoned" deals. Will deep frying affect; or enhance the seasoning?

I guess my other question is what else can I do with this thing? I get that you can use it in a campfire or on a barbecue, but what about using it as a stock/stew pot. I've seen some recipes online for in the campfire. Can I use campfire recipes at home in the oven (stove)? Any Ideas and help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Warwick..

Deep frying in your dutch oven will do nothing but enhance and deepen the seasoning. Fry away!! Also it can be used for stews, chilis, pot roast, etc. Do not use it exclusively for that purpose however. Cook a pot roast, then use it to deep fry, then a pot of stew, then deep fry etc. etc. If you have the model I think you have (L8DDD3) it is what I call a "kitchen" oven. It has a dome lid not designed for using coals on the lid like a "camp" oven does. Also, if I am correct it has no bail. (wire handle) so it's use around the camp fire would be limited somewhat. The lid will serve as a skillet on a camp fire however. Almost any recipe you find for "camfire recipes" can be used in the kitchen. So you have a great tool. Enjoy it!!!

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
I just bought a 5 quart dutch oven at Target for $29.99
I havent used it yet but I've seen several recipes I want to try that call for using a dutch oven so I figured I'd pop out and get one. If I like using it I might upgrade later to the bigger more expensive ones but I didnt want this to be one of those tools that I get then only use once and it becomes a dust catcher and space thief.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Warwick..

Deep frying in your dutch oven will do nothing but enhance and deepen the seasoning. Fry away!! Also it can be used for stews, chilis, pot roast, etc. Do not use it exclusively for that purpose however. Cook a pot roast, then use it to deep fry, then a pot of stew, then deep fry etc. etc. If you have the model I think you have (L8DDD3) it is what I call a "kitchen" oven. It has a dome lid not designed for using coals on the lid like a "camp" oven does. Also, if I am correct it has no bail. (wire handle) so it's use around the camp fire would be limited somewhat. The lid will serve as a skillet on a camp fire however. Almost any recipe you find for "camfire recipes" can be used in the kitchen. So you have a great tool. Enjoy it!!!

Have Fun!!!
That is the model you speak of. I used it last night to make a stew (using beef baise instead of bouillon...YES!!!). The first thing I noticed was how quickly the stew cooked. The second thing I noticed was how tender and flavorful the meat was. The third thing I noticed was how hot the stew stayed even after the heat was turned off.

I left a few things that were stuck to the pot on the pot (up around the sides). I'm afraid to get to aggressive with scrapping or scouring. Is it alright to leave those bits there or should I remove them?

After just that experience with the stew, I'm in love with this pot!!!! I'm sure I'll be using it more and more.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick.hoy
I left a few things that were stuck to the pot on the pot (up around the sides). I'm afraid to get to aggressive with scrapping or scouring. Is it alright to leave those bits there or should I remove them?
Yes you should!!! Go ahead and be as aggressive as you have to be to clean the pot. It want it hurt it. It's cast iron!! It's almost indestructable.

So, I guess you are already thinking about another piece of cast iron??

Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
By all means, warwick, deep fry in your Dutch oven. Do it often. That will only make it better. Use it for soups and stews and for braising in the oven. You will discover, in a very short time, that it is your best cooking friend. Buck and I have several in a variety of sizes.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

"I left a few things that were stuck to the pot on the pot (up around the sides). I'm afraid to get to aggressive with scrapping or scouring. Is it alright to leave those bits there or should I remove them?"

Sure sounds like schmutz to me. Some others seem to be inclined to charitably refer to it as seasoning.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
So, I guess you are already thinking about another piece of cast iron??
You know it. I had a skillet, but didn't know how to take care of it at the time. I did all the things you aren't supposed to do to it. Used Soap, Let it rust...It is now in a landfill . If I knew at the time, and had a grinding wheel I would have kept it and re-seasoned it. Live and Learn I suppose.

I'd call it schmutz, but I think I'll probably take it off. It's just a few gobs of tomato paste that burnt onto it.

Thanks for all the good advice
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick.hoy View Post
You know it. I had a skillet, but didn't know how to take care of it at the time. I did all the things you aren't supposed to do to it. Used Soap, Let it rust...It is now in a landfill . If I knew at the time, and had a grinding wheel I would have kept it and re-seasoned it. Live and Learn I suppose.

I'd call it schmutz, but I think I'll probably take it off. It's just a few gobs of tomato paste that burnt onto it.

Thanks for all the good advice
You are most welcome! Watch yard sales, garage sales, whatever they are called in your area for a skillet. Most times you can find a great bargin. If it is not cracked, with a little TLC it can be brought back to life. Avoid imports if possible! Good hunting!

Have Fun!!