About Dutch Ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

want4rain

Assistant Cook
im looking to get one. there are several different kinds available on ebay but im unsure what all of the numbers mean.

for example this is a Griswold. its a #8... what does #8 mean?
Griswold No.8 Tite-Top Cast Iron Dutch Oven / Baster - (item 180139975313 end time Jul-22-07 16:34:35 PDT)

ebay seems to ahve some less expensive ones.... but am i gettign what i pay for? William Sonoma has several large ones running from $150 to $400....

im a beginer cooker and dont really plan on power cooking but id like it to hang around for the kids after i go. what size would be reasonable? i figured a 6qt? enameled or not enameled? make any difference?

uh... anything else you can tell me abotu dutch ovens?? :)

thanks a bunch!!!

-ashley

Miss Ashley

Welcome to DC!!!!

Griswold is an old line of cast iron cookware. Production was from around 1865 through the 1950's or so. Some rare pieces sell for hundreds of dollars or more. They are both functional, and collectable!

From a purely functional stand point, a tight lid fit is paramount in a dutch oven. Buying items sight un-seen over E-bay can be risky at times. The lid my not match the pot, small cracks may be present etc. So use the old adage. "Buyer Beware"

You may want to research all of the modern day manufacturers, Lodge being one. They make excellent cast iron cookware. They also make some enameled items. Enameled cast iron is nice, and comes with a cost.

You should be able to find a basic oven in the size you mentioned in the $40-$50 range that with reasonable care will last you a life time...

I hope this helps and, again Welcome to the Forum!!!

Have Fun!

want4rain said:
im looking to get one. there are several different kinds available on ebay but im unsure what all of the numbers mean.

for example this is a Griswold. its a #8... what does #8 mean?
Griswold No.8 Tite-Top Cast Iron Dutch Oven / Baster - (item 180139975313 end time Jul-22-07 16:34:35 PDT)

ebay seems to ahve some less expensive ones.... but am i gettign what i pay for? William Sonoma has several large ones running from $150 to $400....

im a beginer cooker and dont really plan on power cooking but id like it to hang around for the kids after i go. what size would be reasonable? i figured a 6qt? enameled or not enameled? make any difference?

uh... anything else you can tell me abotu dutch ovens?? :)

thanks a bunch!!!

-ashley

My Griswold #8's hold 4 quarts. They're 9.75" in diameter and 4" deep. They get a lot of use and I prefer them for many jobs where I get less spatter than from using a frying pan.

Last edited:
why thank you Uncle Bob and Just Plain Bill!! what a warm welcome!

my maiden voyage was with peanut butter cookies. i didnt have a real cookie sheet, i forgot to press the fork in the first batch and i had a hard time figuring out what a 1" ball was. but they taste good!!

im sure i will have many many many more questions..... do you guys have a 911 forum?? :ROFLMAO:

-ashley

I had enough of the WTC with the 1993 bombing.

The #8's total capacity is more like 5 quarts but the useable capacity is more like 4 quarts:

(4 x 3.14159265 x (9.75/2)squared) x .01731602

Last edited:
Hey Miss Ashley....

I bet those cookies were good!!!! My grandmother used to "fuss" about a cake falling apart! My Granddaddy would say those are the best ones!!:LOL:

Ya know, I think he was right!

Ask all of the questions ya want. I garontee none of them will go un-answered!!

Have Lots of Fun!!!!

Ashley,
I recently purchased a Lodge #8 from Academy Sports for $28. You might want to check there or at Bass Pro Shops if you have either close by. I bought two 12s at a farm sale for 20 each. You might want to look in your paper for estate sales or farm auctions.

Ashley,
Another thought. Some DO's are made without legs and are intended primarily for use in an oven or on a stove. The lids are usually domed without rims. "Camping" DO's have 3 small legs and the lid has a rim to keep the coals from falling off.
There is even a chart available that tells you how many briquettes to put under the stove and on the lid to maintain various temperatures.

I have one of these, that my mother got for a wedding present, and it still makes the best pot roast. It's also very easy to clean, perhaps because it's so well-seasoned.

WAGNERWARE 6 Quart Magnalite Aluminum Pot - (eBay item 230164555484 end time Aug-29-07 18:27:22 PDT)

The original Magnalite is no longer being made because the brand name is tied up in the courts, but the Chinese are making knock-offs that are not made of the original alloy and calling them Magnalite, so be careful what you buy.
If you can find the real thing, I promise you will be very pleased with it. Magnalite does everything cast iron does, but the aluminum distrubutes heat better, is a lot easier to clean, and not so heavy.

Last edited:
I have one of these, that my mother got for a wedding present, and it still makes the best pot roast. It's also very easy to clean, perhaps because it's so well-seasoned.

WAGNERWARE 6 Quart Magnalite Aluminum Pot - (eBay item 230164555484 end time Aug-29-07 18:27:22 PDT)

The original Magnalite is no longer being made because the brand name is tied up in the courts, but the Chinese are making knock-offs that are not made of the original alloy and calling them Magnalite, so be careful what you buy.
If you can find the real thing, I promise you will be very pleased with it. Magnalite does everything cast iron does, but the aluminum distrubutes heat better, is a lot easier to clean, and not so heavy.
Thanks Constance. I've been looking at these on ebay but I didn't know anyone who had one.

I want to bring this topic back up to get some Ideas as to what to do with a Lodge Double Dutch Oven I just picked up. I bought it with the intent of using it as a deep fryer as it seems easier to clean than those "fry daddies". So I have a few questions of my own. (sorry if I steal anybodies thunder)

First anybodies thoughts on deep frying in a dutch oven? It is one of those "pre-seasoned" deals. Will deep frying affect; or enhance the seasoning?

I guess my other question is what else can I do with this thing? I get that you can use it in a campfire or on a barbecue, but what about using it as a stock/stew pot. I've seen some recipes online for in the campfire. Can I use campfire recipes at home in the oven (stove)? Any Ideas and help is greatly appreciated.

Warwick..

Deep frying in your dutch oven will do nothing but enhance and deepen the seasoning. Fry away!! Also it can be used for stews, chilis, pot roast, etc. Do not use it exclusively for that purpose however. Cook a pot roast, then use it to deep fry, then a pot of stew, then deep fry etc. etc. If you have the model I think you have (L8DDD3) it is what I call a "kitchen" oven. It has a dome lid not designed for using coals on the lid like a "camp" oven does. Also, if I am correct it has no bail. (wire handle) so it's use around the camp fire would be limited somewhat. The lid will serve as a skillet on a camp fire however. Almost any recipe you find for "camfire recipes" can be used in the kitchen. So you have a great tool. Enjoy it!!!

Have Fun!!!

I just bought a 5 quart dutch oven at Target for $29.99
I havent used it yet but I've seen several recipes I want to try that call for using a dutch oven so I figured I'd pop out and get one. If I like using it I might upgrade later to the bigger more expensive ones but I didnt want this to be one of those tools that I get then only use once and it becomes a dust catcher and space thief.

Warwick..

Deep frying in your dutch oven will do nothing but enhance and deepen the seasoning. Fry away!! Also it can be used for stews, chilis, pot roast, etc. Do not use it exclusively for that purpose however. Cook a pot roast, then use it to deep fry, then a pot of stew, then deep fry etc. etc. If you have the model I think you have (L8DDD3) it is what I call a "kitchen" oven. It has a dome lid not designed for using coals on the lid like a "camp" oven does. Also, if I am correct it has no bail. (wire handle) so it's use around the camp fire would be limited somewhat. The lid will serve as a skillet on a camp fire however. Almost any recipe you find for "camfire recipes" can be used in the kitchen. So you have a great tool. Enjoy it!!!

Have Fun!!!

That is the model you speak of. I used it last night to make a stew (using beef baise instead of bouillon...YES!!!). The first thing I noticed was how quickly the stew cooked. The second thing I noticed was how tender and flavorful the meat was. The third thing I noticed was how hot the stew stayed even after the heat was turned off.

I left a few things that were stuck to the pot on the pot (up around the sides). I'm afraid to get to aggressive with scrapping or scouring. Is it alright to leave those bits there or should I remove them?

After just that experience with the stew, I'm in love with this pot!!!! I'm sure I'll be using it more and more.

warwick.hoy said:
I left a few things that were stuck to the pot on the pot (up around the sides). I'm afraid to get to aggressive with scrapping or scouring. Is it alright to leave those bits there or should I remove them?

Yes you should!!! Go ahead and be as aggressive as you have to be to clean the pot. It want it hurt it. It's cast iron!! It's almost indestructable.

So, I guess you are already thinking about another piece of cast iron??:LOL:

By all means, warwick, deep fry in your Dutch oven. Do it often. That will only make it better. Use it for soups and stews and for braising in the oven. You will discover, in a very short time, that it is your best cooking friend. Buck and I have several in a variety of sizes.

"I left a few things that were stuck to the pot on the pot (up around the sides). I'm afraid to get to aggressive with scrapping or scouring. Is it alright to leave those bits there or should I remove them?"

Sure sounds like schmutz to me. Some others seem to be inclined to charitably refer to it as seasoning.

So, I guess you are already thinking about another piece of cast iron??:LOL:

You know it. I had a skillet, but didn't know how to take care of it at the time. I did all the things you aren't supposed to do to it. Used Soap, Let it rust...It is now in a landfill :(. If I knew at the time, and had a grinding wheel I would have kept it and re-seasoned it. Live and Learn I suppose.

I'd call it schmutz, but I think I'll probably take it off. It's just a few gobs of tomato paste that burnt onto it.

Thanks for all the good advice

You know it. I had a skillet, but didn't know how to take care of it at the time. I did all the things you aren't supposed to do to it. Used Soap, Let it rust...It is now in a landfill :(. If I knew at the time, and had a grinding wheel I would have kept it and re-seasoned it. Live and Learn I suppose.

I'd call it schmutz, but I think I'll probably take it off. It's just a few gobs of tomato paste that burnt onto it.

Thanks for all the good advice

You are most welcome! Watch yard sales, garage sales, whatever they are called in your area for a skillet. Most times you can find a great bargin. If it is not cracked, with a little TLC it can be brought back to life. Avoid imports if possible! Good hunting!

Have Fun!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom