"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Ain't this a CROCK

Can anyone shed some light on where I can find crocks? I mean the old ones our Moms had to make every thing from Kraut to pickled tomatoes to cucumbers.

The ones at home were in various sizes from 2+ to 5 or so gallons- this is a guess, I never measured. They were a very light gray or grayish white and I remember a blue line at the top.

I have searched Seattle until I have wasted more gas that it takes to kick start global warming. All I find on line is Harsch Fermenting Crocks and I know that what i want to find isn't $200+ for a 20 litre crock.

Don't these folks know there is a depression coming on- if the other guy gets elected that is.

I know I can use a plastic bucket but that just doesn't seem right, it seems (shades of the 60s) too plastic. Oh I guess it is important to me that they be food grade glazing.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt View Post
Can anyone shed some light on where I can find crocks? I mean the old ones our Moms had to make every thing from Kraut to pickled tomatoes to cucumbers.

The ones at home were in various sizes from 2+ to 5 or so gallons- this is a guess, I never measured. They were a very light gray or grayish white and I remember a blue line at the top.

I have searched Seattle until I have wasted more gas that it takes to kick start global warming. All I find on line is Harsch Fermenting Crocks and I know that what i want to find isn't $200+ for a 20 litre crock.

Don't these folks know there is a depression coming on- if the other guy gets elected that is.

I know I can use a plastic
just doesn't seem right, it seems (shades of the 60s) too plastic. Oh I guess it is important to me that they be food grade glazing.
I agree ceramic crocks are hard to find and very expensive. I have seen the old ones at auctions and they sell sky high. I also don't want to use a plastic bucket I suppose a plastic pickle bucket will work but I want a ceramic container but I think if we don't suck it up and pay for one we will never get one.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I think it depends on the area you are in. Here in Ohio - they seem to be plentiful. We can go to any auction or flea market to find them. Of course I live near Amish communities and farm / rural areas so they still use them! Nothing better than fresh dill pickles from the crock! My sister in law still makes Mom's kraut recipe every year. Could you find an honest seller on ebay?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

You may have to go with glass. So check out these sites:

Pickle Makers & Crock pots for Natural Pickles, Sauerkraut, & KimChi

Specialty Bottle - Glass & Plastic Bottles Jars Vials Tins Other Containers

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=3079

Good luck. I'd like to have the crocks just to have the crocks!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Master Chef

Here is a 2 qt.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Why not use an old crock pot crock? They are like wire coat hangers at thrift stores. I use one for my sour dough starter, just put a cheap shower cap (read motel) over it to contain the gases and yet not have it explode.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have been wanting for a while now to have one of the ceramicists I know make me one. I have been out of school and have not had a chance to talk to any of them about it. If you know anyone in the local University art department they may be able to broker a deal with one of the potters to make you one. Make sure they know it has to be food safe but that is usually not a problem. You could have it designed however you want and you could even have them make a ceramic weight/lid/follower (the thing that keeps the fermenting food submerged) to match. There are online sources but shipping is going to hurt. I have bought a lot of handmade pottery and it ranges in cost, but it has all served me well at the table and in the kitchen.

-Josh hart
Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

How about one of these?

Ohio Stoneware Crocks - Pressure Cooker Outlet
Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I found them! This place Stoneware pickling crock, 1 gallon has lots of this sort of thing and the prices are way more inline with what I think is right.

Do I want the 3 and 5, or do I want the 2 and 3, or....

Just noted Sparrowgrass' post. Yes these prices are even better. Do anyone have anyone have any experience with either of these brands?
Sparrowgrass, where is the highest point in MO.? I know it ain't my families home town of Boonville.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Ewwww. I like both of yours sparrowgrass, & Robt. Thanks for the tips!