"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

All Clad 5-Ply Copper Core

This is an indulgence. I realize there are better bargains but I have always wanted one of these so I bought a 4-Quart 5-ply saucepan with the copper core. Looking forward to making a batch of Marinara sauce in it this afternoon.

These are going in the dishwasher, like my other Stainless Steel pans, which include a smaller All-Clad Tri-Ply sauce pan and also a Tri-ply saute pan. I've had those for many years and the dishwasher has done them no harm. In case you don't already know, the Tri-ply are stainless-aluminum-stainless sandwich and the 5-Ply are stainless-aluminum-copper-aluminum-stainless.

I don't use stainless for everything but for an acidic sauce like Marinara they are perfect.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Congrats! That's a nice item. I love the few All-Clads I have.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

Congratulations.
Last time I walked away from a kitchen three All-Clad pieces were among the very few things I took with me. Never owned a copper core pot though. I wish you both many productive years together.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
Head Chef

I didn't even know all-clad made five-ply pans.

CD
Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Senior Cook

They do. Very expensive, though. Sill, I am thinking about getting one more- the dutch oven model. It would replace a Bourgeat pan I've had for about 25 years. Nothing wrong with that pan, but the All-Clad pans are just better.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
They do. Very expensive, though. Sill, I am thinking about getting one more- the dutch oven model. It would replace a Bourgeat pan I've had for about 25 years. Nothing wrong with that pan, but the All-Clad pans are just better.
How would that all-clad five-ply dutch oven compare in price to a cast iron dutch oven from le Cruset or Staub? What would be the advantage of the five-ply?

CD
Old 10-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I think better with acidic foods, lighter to handle and dishwasher safe are the main things. Also, easier to see things browning. Better heat transfer, too. Cast iron is really good but even the Tri-Ply is better. Cast iron wins the non-stick rating, though. This is me indulging myself and price was not a consideration this time.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
I think better with acidic foods, lighter to handle and dishwasher safe are the main things. Also, easier to see things browning. Better heat transfer, too. Cast iron is really good but even the Tri-Ply is better. Cast iron wins the non-stick rating, though. This is me indulging myself and price was not a consideration this time.
Of course it is. Nothing wrong with it either. You aren't arguing that Mario Batali and Lidia Bastianich suck because their restaurants don't make tomato sauce in copper core pots. That would be silly. I read your posts like a man who enjoys driving his Mercedes Benz. Maybe a little proud of it too. As long as you're not campaigning to remove bus benches, I've got no problem with you.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

Huh?

I don't think anyone is arguing. Not knowing anything about five-ply, I was curious about how five-ply and cast iron compare as dutch ovens. Just trying to learn something new.

Le Crueset and Staub cast-iron are ceramic coated, so acid is not an issue. They are also dishwasher safe. However, they are heavy, for sure. I have no idea how they compare on price.

BTW, I prefer Audi to Mercedes Benz.

CD
Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I also have some enameled cast iron. Tramontina, not Le Crueset, but still very nice cookware. A Dutch Oven. And I put that in the dishwasher, too, and it always comes out clean as a whistle.

Price-wise I think Le Crueset and All-Clad Copper are in the same ballpark. Performance-wise I think cast iron holds heat better and All Clad responds to temperature changes faster.

That leaves durability. I think stainless wins there. Also srcubability. You can use steel wool on stainless if you have to. Not so cast iron or enameled cast iron.

Tags
copper