"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Ikea's Favorit seemed like pretty nice stuff when I handled it.

DrThunder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by bandnerd1892 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm in the market for pots and pans but I can't really afford All Clad. Are there any alternatives that anyone could suggest? Thanks a lot everyone!
I have some experience to speak from here so I'll put my two cents in. First off, I'll say that I am not a professional chef, and the only training I have if from my Mom who is a "natural" and can make anything taste good. I have an induction hob, so ferrous cooking vessels are all I can use. Third, I am fortunate enough that I can afford whatever cookware I want, but still don't see the need to throw money away.

I have several All-Clad SS pieces (saute pan, fry pans regular and non-stick, several sauce pans) that are wonderful except for the handle - not really an issue most of the time, however because I have strong hands (most know the issue with All-Clad handles is that they fit somewhat awkwardly in the hand and there is little mechanical advantage afforded based on this design - they are however aesthetically pleasing and stay cool).

Several have mentioned Calphalon SS and Cuisinart, neither were suitable for my needs as neither are magnetic - I have handled both and both look like they are of reasonable quality.

I wll have to say that one of my favorites is the All-Clad's Emerilware ProClad line (a fully-clad design as opposed to bottom only). Looks good, has a great handle - better than the US made All-Clad flagship line if you ask me - and performs without any drawbacks that I have identified (I have a 1qt. and 3qt. saucepan and 12" frypan). This line is exclusive to Bed Bath and Beyond stores and is about 50% of the price of regular All-Clad. There is also Emerilware Stainless which is a clad bottom only. I have a 1qt. open saucier and 8 qt. stockpot - both are adequate and look fine, but the thiness of the sides of the vessels (only the bottom is clad) gives it somewhat of a cheap feel - again, I have no problems with the two pieces I have but they really aren't used for anything important - again about 1/2 the price of regular All-Clad.

I also have a LeCreuset 1.5qt. saucepan on on order that I got fairly cheap as a "try-me" piece, but I haven't laid eyes on it yet. Besides, this line is premium priced as is All-Clad, so it really should not factor into this discussion. I also have some experience with Berndes and Viking, again both very nice but also premium priced.

One little note I have to kick in is that the BB&B store here allows customers to use their ubiquitous and plentiful 20% off cupons on anything in the store despite the disclaimer that it can't be used for All-Clad among others, so I have purchased almost all of my stuff there for that nice discount.

BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
DH gave me a set of Calphalon pans last Christmas and I love them Clear lids, handles that stay cool, easy to clean, can go in the oven - great, great pans. I've seen them at Target for a good price.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
I recently bought the Cuisinox brand cookware and I am really impressed, well my wallet is too. Way cheaper than Calphalon or All-Clad & they are induction ready which is good too. Very nice pans with teflon coating, and stock pots that really do the job. I bought it at on line via best cookware set.com Let me know what you think.
SusieQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Thumbs up CUISINART cookware

I have CUISINART MultiClad Pro cookware and love it.
"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #16
Executive Chef
I have both All Clad and a couple Cuisinart pans. The Cuisinarts I have use a thick base to dissipate the heat. Cuisinart is made in China and All Clad is made in the USA.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I have both All Clad and a couple Cuisinart pans. The Cuisinarts I have use a thick base to dissipate the heat. Cuisinart is made in China and All Clad is made in the USA.

Cuisinart makes a couple of different lines of cookware. They have a disk on the bottom line. I think it's called Everyday. They also have a fully clad line. Based on in store examinations, they look well made and substantial in weight. Calphalon also has a fully clad line of cookware. I have the 3-quart saute pan with a glass lid. It's an excellent product. I use it a lot.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Senior Cook
My favorites are a 1.5 qt and 2 qt Tramontina Tri-ply clad that I got at Tuesday Morning for a fraction of their original price. I wish I could find a couple more but they aren't readily available, at least in this area.
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef
even emeril has a triclad set now
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
I use the Wolfgang Puck Cafe Collection 18/10 stainless(Sam's Club)Nice and heavy, decently priced. Came with glass lids. Only thing i do not like about them, is the handles get VERY hot, even though they are designed to stay cool.

Swartz23 is offline   Reply With Quote