All Clad alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much are you trying to spend? IMO, you can afford All-Clad if you buy their more versatile pieces, and with a lifetime warranty, they'll pay for themselves.

How much are you trying to spend? IMO, you can afford All-Clad if you buy their more versatile pieces, and with a lifetime warranty, they'll pay for themselves.

IMO, it's much more than the warranty. It's like buying a BMW or some car that is "as good as a BMW." All-Clad (even seconds) perform flawlessly time after time. The A-C you buy today will be in use in your grandchild's kitchen. Some fault the handle design, but I find it comfortable and always cool--except when I use the piece in the oven, of course.

I bought most of my A-C as seconds from, as jennyema pointed out, Cookware and More. If you wait for the sales, you get at least 40% off list. Some I bought while working in a professional kitchen and got an additional 20%.

I have other cookware of the "clad" variety that I use regularly and, though they perform well, they are not always of the same quality. A quick inventory shows Cuisinart with a copper bottom 5 qt. stock pot that is fantastic, but they have discontinued it, and a saucepan that lives in the attic. KitchenAid chef's pan that is OK, but somehow seems to be the last one selected. Farberware non-stick skillets that perform well (plenty good enough for eggs), but don't compare with the A-C I once had. Lots of cast iron, but that is a different story.

Most of my A-C is MC; all is used on a gas cooktop. YMMV with a different range. In the end, I found I'd prefer a few good pieces of cookware than a bunch of mediocre; I have saved and bought as I could, and ended up with, I think, better than I could have if I had bought many pieces at once.

Just my $.02

I love my All-Clad! And, I've purchased a number of my All-Clad pieces at Home Goods at a pretty good price. You have to weed through the cookware section, but there are often All-Clad pieces in there somewhere, So, it may be worth checking out your local Home Goods (or TJ Maxx - they're owned by te same company and often have similar products) to se what you can find.

That being said, Calphalon Tri-Ply are very good pans and a good value for the price.

Good Luck!

IMO, it's much more than the warranty. It's like buying a BMW or some car that is "as good as a BMW." All-Clad (even seconds) perform flawlessly time after time. The A-C you buy today will be in use in your grandchild's kitchen. Some fault the handle design, but I find it comfortable and always cool--except when I use the piece in the oven, of course.

I bought most of my A-C as seconds from, as jennyema pointed out, Cookware and More. If you wait for the sales, you get at least 40% off list. Some I bought while working in a professional kitchen and got an additional 20%.

I have other cookware of the "clad" variety that I use regularly and, though they perform well, they are not always of the same quality. A quick inventory shows Cuisinart with a copper bottom 5 qt. stock pot that is fantastic, but they have discontinued it, and a saucepan that lives in the attic. KitchenAid chef's pan that is OK, but somehow seems to be the last one selected. Farberware non-stick skillets that perform well (plenty good enough for eggs), but don't compare with the A-C I once had. Lots of cast iron, but that is a different story.

Most of my A-C is MC; all is used on a gas cooktop. YMMV with a different range. In the end, I found I'd prefer a few good pieces of cookware than a bunch of mediocre; I have saved and bought as I could, and ended up with, I think, better than I could have if I had bought many pieces at once.

Just my $.02

I agree. However, I've also had positive experiences with mauviel, emile henry, viking and le creuset as well. It's just about taking care of your cookware and understanding what you're getting into. Each piece can be a hand me down if care for properly.

I agree. However, I've also had positive experiences with mauviel, emile henry, viking and le creuset as well. It's just about taking care of your cookware and understanding what you're getting into. Each piece can be a hand me down if care for properly.

No argument. With care, my Le Creuset and Mauviel should be alongside my All Clad when I am alongside my headstone. Viking I have no experience with.

I've been using Cuisinart Chef's Classic SS pots for years and am very satisfied with them. They're well-designed and well-made, reasonably priced, heavyweight, have metal lids and riveted handles. Amazon always has great prices on sets (currently $120 for a nice 10pc set) and there are plenty of open stock items to complete your collection.

With some things, knives for example, I buy the best I can afford and don't mind paying premium prices. However, I can't see paying 3 or 4 times as much for All Clads when the Cuisinarts perform perfectly well. I should mention that I use non-stick skillets for eggs, etc.

I have a couple pieces of caphlon that I love. I really like the see through lids and the shape of the cookware. When I got a whole set of cookware I choose cuisinart chef classic because it was less expensive. The lids are light but they fit will. The light lids are also easier to store. They have worked well for me so far but I have been using crappy cookware for years now.

I was really impressed with the emeril stuff that I handled in the store.

The other brands may be better but I feel like the marginal betterness was not worth the hefty increase in cost. I'm not a professional cook though, and I have a few pieces of other stuff as well, including a few non-stick items.

All-Clad is very nice, not worth the price but very nice, There is a misconception that all of their products are USA made and this is quite wrong. They do sell some products that are made in China, I know I own one, says so right on the box. It's still a great pot. The Emirl line is mostly produced in China. Check their website, there is full disclosure there.

Personally, I wish that there was a way to "take a test drive" on cookware, how else are you going to find out how it works for you. I usually purchase one something of a brand when I find it on sale somewhere and give it a whirl. If it performs well for me in my kitchen then I'll purchase more when I can. That's how I got my China All-Clad. Many years ago I purchased a All-Clad 1 qt sauce pan on sale for $20. I love it, it's very fast reacting and just works well for me, it's easy to clean and has held up to me for a few years, so it's got to be pretty good stuff. I could tear up a ball bearing with a rubber hammer. I found a 24 qt All Clad stock pot on clearance at BB&B for $75, got it home, love it, works the same, but it is made in China. If I ever run across any more on sale, I'll probably buy it, but pay retail, I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom