"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

All Clad probably for me.

Well, I did make the decision to go the the All Clad and will probably purchase it through the outlet store at cookware and more.

My last question now is that I need help with which sizes of pots to purchase. Which ones do you use and what kinds of cooking do you use it for. Like with saute pans, the 3 quart or the 4 quart and what can you do in the 4 quart that you can't do in the 3 quart size?

Which sauce pan: 2 quart, 3 or 4 and again, what do you use them for?

6 quart stock pot or 8 quart? again what can you do in the 8 that you can't do in the 6 quart.

casserole pot? isn't that duplication of above?

other recommendations and how you have used them.

12" fry pan is a no contest: the only one I'm absolutely sure about.

can you please help me with which sizes of pots to purchase?

lastly, is there a good resource for how cooking on ss all clad will now be different than before ss cookware?

thanks,

mack

Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Well, ultimately it has to do with what you cook more often than not. The one All-Clad pan I would recommend for absolutely everyone though is one of their sauciers.

I use the deep dished skillet quite often as well. Beyond that? I'd have to say the dutch oven (stock pot?) would be a must.

I don't know--I use almost all of mine quite a bit. One of their sauce pots (I think it's the 2 quart) it took me a while to warm to because it's narrow and tall (something I'm not fond of) but with the way they're constructed it tends to work. I still prefer larger surface area, though, which is why I probably use the 3 quart sauce pan more often if my saucier is in use. I'd say the one that gets the least usage for me is the grill pan, but that's because I'm a grillmaster and there's just no substitute for the BBQ--even in 5 degree weather.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Sous Chef

8 quart stock pot. I don't think mine has ever been put in a cupboard. Obviously you can cook a larger amount of food in an 8 quart and stir it more adequately.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Look at what you use the most now. Replace those pieces. It's hard to say whet you should buy as we don't know what and how you cook and for how many people.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I like sauciers rather than sauce pots. I find 3qt jobbers to be the most versatile... not too big and not too small. Easier to whisk with, and larger surface area for reducing liquids. Nice and wide too for small braising jobs.

8qt pots are almost a no brainer. If I could only have one cooking vessel it would be one of my 8qt MC2's.

Frypans are really where it gets tricky. You mjust choose a proper sized pan for the amount of people you are cooking for lest you end up steaming the foods or burning the drippings. When cooking for 1 person, the 8" is what you need. Two people (or three small portions) sees a 10", and four people (or five small portions) would see the use of a 12" jobber. I also use my frypans for roasting.

As said above though, make a list of all the pans/pots you have. Circle the ones you use most often, and include notes of what it is you like/dislike about those items. Base your pan decisions off that.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Head Chef

If I could only keep one stainless steel pot or pan it would be a 10" fry pan. The 12" would only occasionally be used in my kitchen. The 8" after subtracting the sloping sides is too small to be useful except on rare occasions.
I have two and 4 qt. sauce pans and would like to add a 3 qt saucier.
Next would be an 8 qt. stock pot.
I'd also want a 6 qt. pot in the shape that All-clad calls casserole. It should be wider than the stock pot.
That's my two cents anyway.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Executive Chef

how big is your family? how many are you cooking for? Do you entertain? etc etc.

I think (and everybody else has an opinion too that is equally valid) you need some saucepans with lids say a 2 3 and 4 qt collection. A couple fry pans 10 and 12 inch, a saute pan with lid 3 or 4 qt size. a soup pot 5 or 6 qt size. If you make stocks, lots of soups etc, you may want a 8 qt or larger pot. If you do meals for one, you may want a 8" fry pan.

I also think you need a couple non stick skillets for eggs and some seafoods etc. Personally I buy resaraunt pans for that, but others disagree and want their matching set pieces. I also think a heavy enamelled cast iron pot is very useful, and a good heavy duty roasting pan too. It is worth getting the all clad roaster...yes it is pricey but your veggies and fond won't burn as it can in a cheaper thiner pan.

So enjoy collecting and using your fine cookware.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Master Chef

Are you only buying one saucepan? I have 2,3 and 4 and use them all the time. If you are buying only one, I'd probably go with the 3.

4 quart sautee pan gets used a lot. I have the larger one also and it is only used occassionally.

I have 2 10 inch skillets. IMO the 12 inch is just too large to be practical, esp when I have the 4 quart sautee pan.

Always go with the larger stockpot.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
The 8" after subtracting the sloping sides is too small to be useful except on rare occasions.
Not if you're cooking something for just yourself! I find 10" pans way too big for sautees when I'm whipping up a quick lunch/dinner for myself, as the pan juices tend to burn with the amount of real estate surrounding the item. It's also difficult to develop the flavors in a pan sauce with a 10" skillet and a single half-chicken breast as the rate of evaporation is so large when the sauce is at the temperature of a light-simmer. An eight inch diameter is also perfect for a few new red potatoes and asparagus tips to be roasted. I also use them to roast my spices.

Personally, I have two 8" pans and two 10" pans (in All-Clad MC2). I also have cast-iron Lodge pans in the 8", 10", and 12" sizes. It's rounded out with a 10" T-Fal aluminum bodied frypan with a non-stick surface (for crepes and other similar items). Oh, and I have one of those giant electric griddles for big breakfasts.

It all comes down to how many people you cook for, but I would disagree that an eight-inch pan is too small to be useful.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

I'm with Nick. I have 2 8 inch SS All Clad frypans, too. They were on sale for $19 on Amazon. They are perfect for loads of small jobs.

Like I said, I have 2 10 inch frypans, too. 3 10 inch cast iron and a 12 inch cast iron.

An 8 and a 10 nonstick.

They all have their place but the 12 inch gets used the least.