"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

The weight of LC is its biggest downside as well as its greatest feature. If you can not safely or comfortably lift the pot then it is useless to you, but the weight is what gives it such great heat retention which reduces hot spots and promotes even heating.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
I have a Le Creuset 7 1/2 qt. and love it but my favorite for roasts is my grandmother's cast iron Dutch Oven. Let's see, I'm 66 and my grandmother used it through the 20's , 30's and 40's, gave it up to my mom in the 50's , 60's, 70's and 80's and I got it for the last 25 years. I cook my roasts on top of the stove with it, and cook that great artisan bread (NYTimes version) in the oven, and make my Dutch babies in it on Sundays. I wouldn't trade that for anything I've got in the kitchen.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I don't think I could afford to "try out" different dutch ovens to come to my own conclusion. However, the DW bought me/us a Calphalon 8 qt. oval DO for Christmas. I couldn't wait to use it! I made a potato gratin for dinner, the oven was being occupied by a rib roast. I used my grill as an oven and a cookie sheet to protect the bottom of the DO. It came out perfect. I removed it from the grill around 230p and it was still warm enough to serve at 530p. It also cleans very easily.

My recommendation is the Calphalon.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I don't think I could afford to "try out" different dutch ovens to come to my own conclusion. However, the DW bought me/us a Calphalon 8 qt. oval DO for Christmas. I couldn't wait to use it! I made a potato gratin for dinner, the oven was being occupied by a rib roast. I used my grill as an oven and a cookie sheet to protect the bottom of the DO. It came out perfect. I removed it from the grill around 230p and it was still warm enough to serve at 530p. It also cleans very easily.

My recommendation is the Calphalon.

Oooooh, I'm so glad you posted this, Jeekins. I saw some of these recently and was very tempted but didn't know anyone who had gotten one yet. The price was great - at least half of what La Crueset was - but I wanted to hear from someone who had one. They are gorgeous, too.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I'm not too familliar with the others, but the Calphalon has a dimpled lid that drops moisture back into the food. It's kind of heavy, but the large handles make it manageable. After 45 minutes or so of cooking the gratin, I removed the lid and wound up with a nice crust on top. It also can withstand a 500 deg. oven.