"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

All Clad French Oven or Le Creuset

I am in need of a dutch oven to cook roasts in and am looking at the All-Clad French Oven and Le Creuset French Oven. I have some All-Clad pieces and love them but I've never had a piece of the Le Creuset so I don't really know that much about it. Also was looking at a piece of Le Creuset to do soups and stews in. Which size would you recommend for this?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, Cathy. Welcome to DC

Both are excellent products. For braising and stewing or making soups etc., I'd go for the LeCrueset French Oven.

In my opinion, the best size to get as a first piece is the 7 1/4 quart round in the color of your choice. It's a great piece and the right size to accommodate recipe amounts. I used mine Sunday to make a pot roast for dinner.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Man Andy took the words right out of my mouth (as he often does). Great advice given by that guy!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
cathqlt,
Le Creuset main drawback relative to All-Clad is weight. Both had excellent scores when tested by Illustrated Cooking (American Test Kitchen)
If you don't need the big size and your budget is tight, Target sells a 5 Qt Chefmate enameled red that performs like a Le Creuset.
Check your local Home Goods (if you have any) store.. they have 7.25 Qt Le Creusets for $150.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm with the Le Creuset bunch. I got my first piece many years ago and was hooked. I opted to get oval rather than round because I felt it would give a little more flexibility when cooking whole chickens, ham, etc. Turns out, I've been right, for me at least.

One of the things I like about Le Creuset is how nice and tightly the lids fit. There's nothing like braising something in a Le Creuset piece. I don't worry about the weight. I just chalk it up to the "what is" factor and go on.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Le Creuset ....The best bang for your buck!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathqlt View Post
I am in need of a dutch oven to cook roasts in and am looking at the All-Clad French Oven and Le Creuset French Oven. I have some All-Clad pieces and love them but I've never had a piece of the Le Creuset so I don't really know that much about it. Also was looking at a piece of Le Creuset to do soups and stews in. Which size would you recommend for this?
I would strongly suggest you go to a store that has a 7 1/4 quart LaCreuset and pick it up. Then imagine it with say 6 quarts of liquid, which is another 11 lbs or so. Then imagine bending at the waist while holding it out about 3 feet from your body, the maneuver you need to do to get it in the oven. (I've found my oven shelves refuse to slide with that much weight on them, and sag quite a bit)

As someone else said, Cooks Illustrated tested dutch oven and concluded that all-clad was superior even not taking the weight into consideration. Expect to pay well over $200 though.

I also find my cast iron dutch oven a pain on my glass tot stove. If you have gas, no problem, but lifting 25 lbs of steaming hot food to get it "off the heat" to add this or that and then returning to the heat is a recipe for a scratched top.

However, if you can put up with the weight and are very careful, and don't allow unauthorized family members to use it, it does do a beautiful job of braising just about anything.

Just make sure you know a good chiropractor

Mozart
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

If you are unable to manage moving a heavy French oven from stovetop to oven and back, you can always cook the entire time on the stovetop. I often do if the oven is being used for another purpose. The results are the same.

Either way, there is no need to pay full retail price for one or the other. Check out Cookware & More : Selling All Clad Irregulars Since 1984. They have some great deals on All-Clad. You should also be able to find discount sites for LeCrueset. Check you area for a LeCrueset outlet store. The sell cosmetic seconds for greatly reduced prices.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Master Chef

I agree.. my 7 1/4 quart Le Creuset is my best friend in the kitchen. The best part of her is her weight! That's what makes her such a great cooking vessel.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Yes I can only agreed with all of you Le Creuset is great, I think the best is to get the Oval French Oven 6 qt or Oval French Oven 9 qt, because you can cook long roast as well,

Dodi's Home Page
Dodi is offline   Reply With Quote