"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
Head Chef

I got this in Grand Rapids, Mi. But I have found that in order to find the great deals you have to go often. That is true of any second hand store.And personally I don't think they knew what they had. Either that or they didn't know how easy it is to clean stainless steel.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hello, what a great deal on your pan. I just purchased a 10 pc set of AC stainless steel which should arrive today. I have never used stainless steel cookware before so I am a little nervous about the cleaning of it. I have read much about BKF, but this is the first time I read about ammonia for cleaning. How do you use it? Would appreciate any advice from all on best way to care for my all clad. Thanks, Mary

Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylpn View Post
Hello, what a great deal on your pan. I just purchased a 10 pc set of AC stainless steel which should arrive today. I have never used stainless steel cookware before so I am a little nervous about the cleaning of it. I have read much about BKF, but this is the first time I read about ammonia for cleaning. How do you use it? Would appreciate any advice from all on best way to care for my all clad. Thanks, Mary

Mary, welcome to DC.

Ammonia cleaning is for heavy duty caked on crud perhaps from never being cleaned properly or from badly burned on food. It's not necessary for everyday cleaning. Soap and water and occasional BKF will do the trick.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

All-Clad Cleaning

Thanks Andy,
This is such a great site!
I have always used non-stick cookware so this is going to be a different experience for me and I want to get it right! I love the beauty of SS, and hope to keep it looking nice.
Happy New Year! Mary
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I am so jealous - I never find anything good in second hand stores. My last All Clad cost me over $300.00 - it's the electric skillet, which I love and it does clean up nicely, even without the non stick coating. Great find!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Head Chef

Andy is right. Ammonia cleaning is for bad crud. Everyday cleaning does not require ammonia. I have a very old pan that my dh uses to make popcorn. This pan is something of a legacy from his father and he refuses to get rid of it. But after 50 years of making popcorn it was disgusting. I refused to even have it sit out on my stove. (Dh feels that cleaning it will ruin it.) At one time I took it to the truck mechanics at work and asked them if they could clean the outside of the pan so that I could stand to have it in the house. They tried steaming it like they do truck engines but that did nothing. Then they spent two hours using a sander on it and it did come out nicely clean. But it only took a couple of more years for it to be disqusting again. I decided to take a chance and try to clean it as I do grill grates. I put it in a large leakproof plastic bag with a couple of cups of ammonia and sealed it well. I left it in the bag overnight. In the morning I took it to the sink and the crud just wiped off with one finger. It was amazing. Now I clean all badly grimed pans with it. However, pans that have coatings on them can be destroyed using this method. The ammonia can just lift the coating right off as it does the grime. But I got lucky and it did not take the coating off my all clad pan. My general theory is if the pan is so bad that it needs to be thrown away I might as well try the ammonia procedure. I have been able to save several of my brothers pans this way. Oh, and just so you know, I leave the bag with the amonia and the pan it it outside on the deck overnight. Then I open it out there in the morning and take the pan out. Be careful because those ammonia fumes can be powerful. Ater the fumes have dissipated somewhat I pour the ammonia down the drain.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

all-Clad Cleaning

Thanks for the information! After reading many posts I think I will stock up on BKF ;-)
As you can see from my posts, a little nervous about ruining my AC. Never used SS before and I have read so many different do's and don'ts that it's driving me crazy! So if you guys don't mind "dumb" questions, I will look to you for your expertise!
Thanks, Mary