"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
can you make any suggestions for an all clad substitute at a good/fair price?
Better still, get real All Clad cosmetic seconds (still waranteed) at big discounts at Cookware and More. Just google them and you'll find their site.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Calphalon makes a very good product and costs less than All Clad. Another good way to go is to check out restaurant supply stores. The cookware may not be pretty, but if you don't care about looks then you can find quality stuff at a fraction of the price of All Clad. As for names of that stuff, I do not know. I will let one of the professional chefs answer that part of the question.
I have several All-Clad pieces and like them very much. I am not a pro chef and am not too familiar with cookware from restaurant supply stores, but there is another brand of stainless steel cookware worth looking at that is a bit less expensive -- and still mighty pretty -- that might be worthwhile in the future for the newlywed:

Take a look at Henckel's Classic Clad SS. I don't have a set, but I do have their 5 quart saute casserole (two helper handles), and I cannot say enough good things about the quality, construction, and design. I have an embarrassingly large amount of cookware, but this is just about my favorite. Cooking.com and undoubtedly other sites have a couple sets available, plus individual pieces.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I have a couple of pieces of All-Clad stainless and think they're great, but I like my Calaphon as well. My two favorite pieces are an All-Clad Copper Core 12" fry pan and a 5-quart covered saute pan from Henckels. I think the Henckels is even better made than the All-Clad, but only by a hair.

BTW, check on eBay for this stuff. When we decided to replace our old 8-quart Farberware pot, we found a brand new 8-quart stainless All-Clad stockpot on eBay for $100; Williams Sonoma gets $258 for the same thing.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #14
Senior Cook

after all this time, i'm just finding out that the Member's Mark stainless cookware is not only 18/10 stainless but it is FULL CLAD as well.

a full set for under $200... of full clad!!!!

unfortunately, i won't be able to afford the All Clad line until i hit the lottery; so for now, i'm off to sam's club to buy their full clad set.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I can afford anything I want to afford, but I refuse to buy an All-Clad frying pan and also buy one for Emeril LaGasse, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batalli.

I buy my tri-ply at Le Gourment Chef. They are almost exact copies of All-Clad, made in Europe, are of equal qaulity, and carry the same guarantee. All for 1/3 the price of All-Clad.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I can afford anything I want to afford, but I refuse to buy an All-Clad frying pan and also buy one for Emeril LaGasse, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batalli.

I buy my tri-ply at Le Gourment Chef. They are almost exact copies of All-Clad, made in Europe, are of equal qaulity, and carry the same guarantee. All for 1/3 the price of All-Clad.
are those full clad?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Head Chef

i have a calphalon tri ply stainless skillet and it ROCKS.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:27 AM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
are those full clad?
Mais naturellement. I only go first class.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i went to a le gourmet chef outlet store, and i have to say it pales in comparison to all clad. nice looking, much less expensive, but also much, much lighter. i passed on it.

i then went (was dragged) to bloomies, and spent an hour chatting up the all clad salesperson. she really got into "explaining" the all clad mc2, ltd, and stainless lines.

i'm waiting to buy a wide, 6 qt covered saute with a stainless cooking surface (outside doesn't matter), so i put my name on a mailing list for when they go on sale again. also, i'd like a 14" non-stick fry pan.

i just missed an oppurtunity to pick up a 7.25 qt. le creuset dutch oven for $150, regularly $330.

so, i wait for sales, and am going to start monitoring ebay.

jenny, the all clad seconds website you've recommended looks good, but i can get a first, on deep discounted sale, for about the same price.

just gotta wait for the sale, and get the extra discount for opening a store card.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:16 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I just recently upgraded from All-Clad to All-Clad Ltd. (Macy's sent me a 20% off anything in the store voucher for spending so much money with them--or more specifically, the lady of the house spending so much, so I burned it on a 10 piece set of the normally $600 Ltd. set). Love em, love em, love em. Thought the world of the other set, as well (they apparently hold their value really well. I paid $500 for those brand new, got $415 for em on Ebay).

I thought about Calphalon, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not because I've ever heard anything bad about them--just most of the Calphalon I've seen is one of two things: Either nonstick (and I hate nonstick cookware--it never lasts. And for that matter, it's never "nonstick". I get things stuck to it all the time) or else it had this really funky cooking surface design. It was all ridgy in all the pieces (best word I can think of for it). Which...OK, I'm sure is probably a great design otherwise they wouldn't produce it, but it's just too hard a sell on me to go for it instead of the classic smoothness I've come to know and love.