All-Clad stainless - Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad we're all allowed to have our opinions.
There is a big difference between voicing your opinion and being rude. Please see the first rule in our community policies. Different opinions are welcomed and encouraged. Rudeness is not tolerated.

There is a big difference between voicing your opinion and being rude. Please see the first rule in our community policies. Different opinions are welcomed and encouraged. Rudeness is not tolerated.

A couple of years back I remember reading and hearing of a group who objected to the word Hello because of the first four letters.

Billions of people on the earth, three hundred million in the U.S. alone.

Always going to be someone somewhere who will take offense at anything.

Didn't mean to hit a nerve, Sorry.

my member's mark (tramontina) full clad set has been used extensively with GREAT results.

i'm glad i bought an extra set for my parents... cause now, they've stopped offering those sets at Sam's Club.

also, costco is NOT offering their full clad set anymore either.

I got the same set at Sam's too black chef. Very happy with it. Excellant quality. You can get the set at Wal mart now, but some of the pots and pans sizes are smaller, more suited to the home cook I think. I keep watching for a couple of the sizes in open stock.

BlueCat,
If you are interested in All Clad, check your local Williams Sonoma store/s.
All Clad produces several lines of cookware, one of them -Ltd- is being replaced by Ltd2.
Williams Sonoma has the All Clad Ltd stuff for sale, I saw a Seven pieces Ltd set for $240 from $600 something regular price.

I posted in another thread tonight that we recently purchased the Kirkland Signature Tri-Ply stainless clad cookware set (Tramontina) from our local Costco warehouse. I was all set to splurge and replace our Magnalite Pro with the All-Clad stainless line but, after reading some comments on the internet about Tramontina's cookware, went to look at the Costco stuff. I found it to be a better product ergonomically (I prefer the handles on the Kirkland vs. All-Clad). As to whether it cooks any better, I can't say though the local AC dealer offered to let me take a piece home to try out.

We have a ceramic top stove and the Kirkland Tri-Ply doesn't heat as quickly as the Magnalite Pro cookware does and I doubt it holds the heat quite as well but it does a great job searing and seems not to have any significant hot spots based on my few sautes so far.

I wouldn't say that All-Clad is not worth it so much as that Tramontina's Tri-Ply cookware is one of the greatest values I've ever come across in cookware. Kind of how I felt about Magnalite Pro when we bought a set back in the early 90's. For the price of the AC 6 qt saute, you can buy a full set of Tramontina Tri-Ply. My guess is that it cooks the same but the Brazilians are getting our money instead of an American company.

Last edited:
Oh, and buckytom, I bought a Try Me piece of Anolon Advanced cookware, their 8" non-stick skillet, at Macy's the other day, and it's wonderful stuff. I would consider it if I wanted new anodized cookware instead of stainless. A $50 pan for $20!

thanks csg.

i really like the pan that ron mentioned. i want to pick it up and get a feel for it, so the next time i'm in the mall i'm gonna check them out.

i was in a kmart or walmart recently and saw the 14" ss tri-ply tramontina frying pan for about $30. it's really nice, but i want a non-stick interior.

I'd like to point out that All-Clad is also a kitchen showpiece for quests. In addition to being a conversation starter, it can be considered a "status symbol" for some because of the high price and advertisement...not unlike many household items. They also have a lifetime warantee.

I have All-Clad copper core and All-Clad SS. I find the copper core heats faster than the straight AC SS. Both the copper core and stainless steel seem to cook the food just as fast as other brands but it seems I don't have to crank up the heat to do the same job. I watch for sales and bought them all at Cookware and More. Having said that I also have some great old Griswold cast iron fry pans, Lodge reversible griddle and La Crueset enameled cast iron (local La Crueset store sells seconds). A big Brazilian soapstone dutch oven some european copper pots and the assorted ceramic, pryrex and clay casserole or lasagne pans to round out the variety. What I didn't have was a really heavy 12" cast iron fry pan. What I just orderd is a 5.5 qt nickel coated cast iron pot that is like a 12" fry pan but with 4" sides and a nickle clad lid. I'll have to report on how I like it.

The Griswold fry pans are in their third generation of use maybe more! Even though they are seconds I expect the same of the All-Clad. They will do that even as they are used daily so IMO that is factor in value vrs. cost that only time can testify to with some of the other brands.

I am not a professional chef so it is all about the fun of cooking, the pleasure of entertaining and the meals shared with family. May all have that satisfaction no matter what pot or pan they have. Truely they (pots & pans) are but a means to an end not the end to be reached.

Back
Top Bottom