"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Metal handles such as A-C's are designed to slow the flow of heat from the pan up the handle. In the case of A-C, the narrowness near the pan restricts the flow of heat. Other makers use a two prong end on their handles with a triangular opening between the prongs. This provides the necessary stability with thin metal connecting the handle to the pot to restrict heat flow.

That being said, A-C handles are awkward to hold for me.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
[
I don't own them because I prefer the heat dissipation of AC although Calaphon One handles are a close second.[/quote]

All my pans are Claphalon one. I do find the handles very comfortable. It takes putting them into the oven to get them untouchable.

JDP

Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I'll honestly admit that at first I wasn't too excited by the AC handles. But after I used them for awhile, they grew on me to the point where every other handle just feels wrong in my hand. I like the curved bottom that fits the curvature of my palm, and the concaved top that my thumb rests in. All the other pans I hold now with square or rounded handles feel unstable to me.

Gotta' love the heavy duty and oven-ready construction too!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
Master Chef

Once again, I'm with Nick.

I like the way they feel and also like the heat dissipation.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I never have problems with the handles getting hot on teh stovetop if that was one of the original questions. They get warm, but no where near forcing me to use my towel.

Of course coming out of a 450F oven is another matter...
I don't care to mention how many times I've gone from smiles to silent open mouthed shock, with my eyeballs trying to release steam...

But my hands are getting to the point where it only hurts for 15min or so rather than long hours into the night with my hand in a bucket of ice. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I had no problem with heat transfer of the stick handles on the All-Clad I had and I'm sure I could have gotten used to those two uncomfortable ridges digging into my hands but I guess I was used to pans with stick handles that didn't cut into my hands already.

If the All-Clad had done a better job of cooking than the Calaphalon Triply I compared it to I may be telling a different story now, but It didn't.

The stay cool hollow core stick and loop handles used on some cookware have no problem with head build up.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
[

I don't care to mention how many times I've gone from smiles to silent open mouthed shock, with my eyeballs trying to release steam...

Nick at linens and things they have this silcone tube that slides over the handle. I got one of these because I always forget when I take a pan out of the oven a set it on the stove. Next thing you know I picking it up to serve without a hot pad and I beging to say things I can't print. Simply placing this over the hot handle after removing it from the oven has solved this problem for me.

JDP
Old 12-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
[

Nick at linens and things they have this silcone tube that slides over the handle. I got one of these because I always forget when I take a pan out of the oven a set it on the stove. Next thing you know I picking it up to serve without a hot pad and I beging to say things I can't print. Simply placing this over the hot handle after removing it from the oven has solved this problem for me.

JDP

The Lodge cast iron folks sell the sleeves. They're insulated cloth and very effective.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

it wasn't the heat that gives me a problem. it has been how uncomfortable they are when I have held them in BB&B store. but since I know that some of you just got used to them, I'm going to keep it seriously in mind because i also do know they do cook very very well. America's Taste Kitchens love them and they have won all or at least most of their cooking equipment tests and they are very very thorough in how they test cookware. Their favorite 12" skillet / frying pan is the All Clad SS. They even liked the SS over the A-C copper core and all copper skillets.

Really appreciate all of your imput. it helps a great deal.

mack
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #20
Executive Chef

they are modled on a French design...of deBuyer ... they do disapate the heat, and if you tuck your thumb in there as said above the hadle is non slip. Yes there are silicon and cloth sleves from many manufacturers...great things! so is the ove glove!