"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

All Clad's handles

Is there some way to get around how uncomfortable the handles feel on the All Clad cookware? Does All Clad make any handle holders?

mack

Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Cook

I've never seen a handle holder made by All-Clad but one of the generic ones might help. Some people aren't bothered by the All-Clad handles, and I have no trouble with the smaller, lighter pieces like our 1-1/2 quart sauce pan. It's the big sauce pans and the sauté pans that I don't like. We have a couple of the old MC (not MCII) pans with the rough cast handles that don't bother me as much.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemack
Is there some way to get around how uncomfortable the handles feel on the All Clad cookware?
I'd say the first thing to do is not to buy something that doesn't feel comfortable. Take it back and exange for something that you like.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hello and welcome to DC. It is a shame that the All Chad's Handles are uncomfortable - but the one thing that everyone should do is try the handles before your buy them and make sure they are comfortable in your hands.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

A hot pad or a towel.

As mentioned before, some of the worst designed handles on any cookware.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I had to find some pictures online to see what you are talking about. Yes they do look like they thin down to nothing near the pan giving you very little to hold on to. I would recommend a towel or possibly try one of the silconce pan handle hot pads that simply slide over the end of the handle and cutting the tip off it so you can slide it down to the skinny part.

JDP
Old 12-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

A friend of mine explained that these handles are intended to be used with your fingers curled around the bottom of the handle and your thumb in the groove on top. If needed, you can tuck the tip of the handle under the edge of your arm, for better balance.

I always use oven mitts with my cookware, and I find they give the right amount of padding on the AC handles. Some of the more rounded handles out there feel a little too big for my hands when I have mitts on. But then, I have pretty small hands.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

well the next time I go into BB&B, I'll grab a pot holder and see how the handle feels.

mack
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Sous Chef

My son has a "sleeve" that fits over the handle.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I actually like the handles on AC. They dissipate heat better than any other I've used. If you really hate the handle then a bunch of the competitive cookware is as good. ie Viking, Calaphon Stainless or One, even Kirkland.

I don't own them because I prefer the heat dissipation of AC although Calaphon One handles are a close second.