Alum Skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PcbChef

Assistant Cook
When cooking eggs in my aluminum skillet they always stick. I tried heating with oil and scouring it with table salt --- still stick.

A few basic steps to get stick-free cooking with a metal (uncoated) skillet.

1. The pan must be completely clean. Any food residue remaining in the pan will become a sticking point.

2. The pan must be fully heated before you add any food.

3. The fat you use must also be fully heated in the heated pan before you add any food.

4. Add the raw egg(s) to the pan and let it sit in the hot fat for a bit. Swirl the pan around to ensure the cooking egg is not stuck.

This process (steps 1-3) is the same for any protein you cook in the pan. Foods will initially stick but will free themselves as they cook.

In addition to what Andy said, be sure your heat at at medium low to medium. You don't want the pan too hot.

My suggestion is to switch pans. Use a pan dedicated to cooking eggs--either non-stick, or a well seasoned cast iron.

Eggs are sticky little critters.

My mom buys a cheap non-stick pan, and buys a new one when the old one starts to lose it's finish. I use cast iron, and a pat of butter or bit of oil when I go for over-easies.

Saves a lot of cussin'.

Andy M said:
A few basic steps to get stick-free cooking with a metal (uncoated) skillet.

1. The pan must be completely clean. Any food residue remaining in the pan will become a sticking point.

2. The pan must be fully heated before you add any food.

3. The fat you use must also be fully heated in the heated pan before you add any food.

4. Add the raw egg(s) to the pan and let it sit in the hot fat for a bit. Swirl the pan around to ensure the cooking egg is not stuck.

I use an aluminum pan to cook eggs...A Lincoln Ware 4007... When the above is followed, the Failure rate (eggs sticking) is almost Zero.

After you swirl to ensure there is no sticking...quickly flip and turn the heat to low...Pour your coffee, and plate your grits etc. ..Eggs are ready...Time to eat.

When I eat eggs...mostly on week-ends, the first thing I do when I walk in the kitchen is to break two eggs into a bowl...Let them set (warm up a bit) while you get everything else ready...Then fry them. HTH

Enjoy!

Last edited:
My suggestion is to switch pans. Use a pan dedicated to cooking eggs--either non-stick, or a well seasoned cast iron.

Eggs are sticky little critters.

My mom buys a cheap non-stick pan, and buys a new one when the old one starts to lose it's finish. I use cast iron, and a pat of butter or bit of oil when I go for over-easies.

Saves a lot of cussin'.

This only works as long as you can get everybody else who happens to wander into your kitchen thinking of it as the "egg pan" and don't try to cook burgers in it. I've seen too many forks heading towards the finish in MY egg pan.:shock:

When I have a piece of equipment that I don't want used by anyone other than me I put it somewhere that does not contain other similar equipment. Just put a hook on the back of a seldom used cupboard or closet door and hang the pan there. The family won't bother to go after it if there are other pans available to them. At least mine don't. The trouble with this procedure is that you have to wash the pan and put it away yourself or it will end up back with the other pans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom