"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Aluminum Cookie Sheets

mine is leaving a dark smuggy stuff on my sugar cookies. what gives?
did i get the wrong cookie sheets? its whatever set Wal-Mart sells so its not high end.

thanks!! (i better go FINISH cooking my sugar cookies!)

-ashley

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't think I've ever noticed that. Are teh cookie sheets a shiny aluminum or coated?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't think I've ever noticed that. Are teh cookie sheets a shiny aluminum or coated?
Me either at least not on flat pans I have noticed that my big,big cake pans 10,12,14 & 16 inch size do this when I oil them so I just wash them really good and start over.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I haven't baked cookies for several years now because very few of them ever seemed to make it to the cookie jar. My cookie sheets are double walled steel with a non-stick coating, so I have never had this problem, but I have seen it with aluminium baking products before. If I were you, I would put parchment paper down on the cookie sheets before adding the cookie dough.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

i was looking around for a smiley face with a dunce cap.... cause i need one but the errm one will ahve to do!

so im not sure what you mean by coated aluminum??? it doesnt look like its coated with anything. i worked in a restraunt years ago and the egg pans were the same way. we had to season them to cook eggs in them, we would brush them out with salt and paper towel and get the same black/gray stuff off of it.

now what exactly is parchment paper? NOT the same as wax paper right? Wiki says they are different... ok. i was thinking of getting the silicone sheets. a good idea?
jpmcgrew
i had to laugh a little. for a brief moment i was stunned that you actually had four cake pans.

yep, im a dork!!

-ashley
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

oh and id like to say that while they had a little tiny bit of smudge on the bottoms.... my cookies came out ultra tasty. i have been *quite* impressed with myself.

-ashley
Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

jpmcgrew i had to laugh a little. for a brief moment i was stunned that you actually had four cake pans.
Ha,I have more pans than you know all the tiered wedding cake pans,round,square heart shaped,european tiered cake pans,regular cake pans,spring forms,tart pans,bundt pans etc,etc.Its kind of ridiculous really.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Ha,I have more pans than you know all the tiered wedding cake pans,round,square heart shaped,european tiered cake pans,regular cake pans,spring forms,tart pans,bundt pans etc,etc.Its kind of ridiculous really.
*chuckles* i felt a little foolish to assume that 4 was ALL you had, to think of all of the cool cake sizes and shapes... 4 is a rather small number huh. :)

-ashley
Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain
Now what exactly is parchment paper? NOT the same as wax paper right? Wiki says they are different... ok. i was thinking of getting the silicone sheets. a good idea?-ashley
If you look in the section of the grocery store that has plastic wrap, aluminum foil and waxed paper, ashley, you will find parchment paper. It's not very expensive and can be used for other purposes other than lining cookie sheets or cake pans.

When I don't use parchment paper, I use teflon liners and I have a pack that includes two large rectangular ones, a couple 8-inch round ones and an 8-inch square one. Look at the Triple Pack sold at this site. The sheets are easy to use and I put mine on the top rack of the dishwasher to clean them. Although, most of the time they are easily cleaned with a little soapy water in the sink. I've had mine for many, many years and wouldn't be without them. Our daughter has a set, too, and uses them a lot.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

I think the black smudgy stuff has something to do with washing them in the dishwasher. My aluminum sheets come out of the dishwasher dull and then I get the back smudgy stuff. If I wash them with Dawn in the sink they stay shiney and no black smudgy stuff.