Aluminum Cookie Sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

want4rain

Assistant Cook
mine is leaving a dark smuggy stuff on my sugar cookies. what gives?
did i get the wrong cookie sheets? its whatever set Wal-Mart sells so its not high end.

thanks!! (i better go FINISH cooking my sugar cookies!)

-ashley

Andy M. said:
I don't think I've ever noticed that. Are teh cookie sheets a shiny aluminum or coated?
:) Me either at least not on flat pans I have noticed that my big,big cake pans 10,12,14 & 16 inch size do this when I oil them so I just wash them really good and start over.

I haven't baked cookies for several years now because very few of them ever seemed to make it to the cookie jar. :whistling My cookie sheets are double walled steel with a non-stick coating, so I have never had this problem, but I have seen it with aluminium baking products before. If I were you, I would put parchment paper down on the cookie sheets before adding the cookie dough.

Last edited:
:ermm: i was looking around for a smiley face with a dunce cap.... cause i need one but the errm one will ahve to do!

so im not sure what you mean by coated aluminum??? it doesnt look like its coated with anything. i worked in a restraunt years ago and the egg pans were the same way. we had to season them to cook eggs in them, we would brush them out with salt and paper towel and get the same black/gray stuff off of it.

now what exactly is parchment paper? NOT the same as wax paper right? Wiki says they are different... ok. i was thinking of getting the silicone sheets. a good idea?
jpmcgrew
i had to laugh a little. for a brief moment i was stunned that you actually had four cake pans. :rolleyes:

yep, im a dork!!

-ashley

oh and id like to say that while they had a little tiny bit of smudge on the bottoms.... my cookies came out ultra tasty. i have been *quite* impressed with myself.

-ashley

:) jpmcgrew i had to laugh a little. for a brief moment i was stunned that you actually had four cake pans. :rolleyes:
:) Ha,I have more pans than you know all the tiered wedding cake pans,round,square heart shaped,european tiered cake pans,regular cake pans,spring forms,tart pans,bundt pans etc,etc.Its kind of ridiculous really.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Ha,I have more pans than you know all the tiered wedding cake pans,round,square heart shaped,european tiered cake pans,regular cake pans,spring forms,tart pans,bundt pans etc,etc.Its kind of ridiculous really.

*chuckles* i felt a little foolish to assume that 4 was ALL you had, to think of all of the cool cake sizes and shapes... 4 is a rather small number huh. :)

-ashley

want4rain said:
Now what exactly is parchment paper? NOT the same as wax paper right? Wiki says they are different... ok. i was thinking of getting the silicone sheets. a good idea?-ashley
If you look in the section of the grocery store that has plastic wrap, aluminum foil and waxed paper, ashley, you will find parchment paper. It's not very expensive and can be used for other purposes other than lining cookie sheets or cake pans.

When I don't use parchment paper, I use teflon liners and I have a pack that includes two large rectangular ones, a couple 8-inch round ones and an 8-inch square one. Look at the Triple Pack sold at this site. The sheets are easy to use and I put mine on the top rack of the dishwasher to clean them. Although, most of the time they are easily cleaned with a little soapy water in the sink. I've had mine for many, many years and wouldn't be without them. Our daughter has a set, too, and uses them a lot.

I think the black smudgy stuff has something to do with washing them in the dishwasher. My aluminum sheets come out of the dishwasher dull and then I get the back smudgy stuff. If I wash them with Dawn in the sink they stay shiney and no black smudgy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom