An Ode to Barkeepers Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing that I don't like about my glass top is that it isn't terribly responsive, it heats rapidly, boils quickly and sears beautifully, but the burner stays very hot for quite some time, so it takes some finesse or you can overcook. On the upside it doesn't heat up my kitchen (which gets a bit warm from the afternoon sun in the summer) like gas burners, for me that's a decent grade off.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Just a couple comments...

Do not use any kind of abrasive substance or metal scrubbing pad or Easy Off oven cleaner on glass. Ask me how I know. Because any of the above can create scratches and when the glass heats up (particularly an oven window) the stress causes the cracks to fracture. I did that. Result: new oven time. Luckily it was a cheap Sears, cost about $350-$400 for a new range.

Use a single edged razor to scrape gunk off of glass. Be careful, and hold it as parallel to the glass as possible. The cleaner it gets the easier the razor slides, and it won't scratch the glass as long as you hold it at a very narrow angle to the glass.

Better yet if that razor is in a paint scraper, the kind you use to get the sash paint off of the window if you slop. I have one in my kitchen drawer especially for my glass top.

Better yet if that razor is in a paint scraper, the kind you use to get the sash paint off of the window if you slop. I have one in my kitchen drawer especially for my glass top.

+1. I have one that I HAD velcroed to my glasstop. It is now missing. DH claims no knowlege, but I doubt Beagle took it.

Was the octagonal soap Fels Naptha? I have a bar by our utility tub. Best thing ever to wash off with if you come in contact with poison ivy. Works great for grass stains on clothes too. The other ever-present soap in our home was Ivory.

Octagon was also a brand along with Fels Naptha and Kirkman's. Fels Naptha is the most known one. :angel:

Yes of course. I forgot about that. I live dangerously. I've already cut everything that's bound to be cut and burned everything that is bound to be burned, and it kind of hones your technique after you've lost blood several times.

By all means use a paint scraper holder for your single edge razor. For best performance try to keep the razor as close to parallel to the glass as you can (smallest angle).

The less the angle the easier it will be to get crud off the glass.

For the glass on oven doors, I sprinkle baking soda and rub off the dirt with a damp, not wet, rag or sponge.

Back
Top Bottom