"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
An odor problem..any suggestions why?

Dishes in our household are always washed and wiped.However I am always complaining that dishes and pots and pans have that "old food" smell.....that to the contrary they have not that "fresh" smell etc. I have become really obsessed with this to a stage where I have to re-detergent every plate and pot and pan before cooking and eating. My wife thinks that I am insane.
I am just wondering why is this occuring. I mean all utensils are washed in detergent properly. Is it the age of the cookware? Or is it..the detergent?
I'll be happy with any suggestion

sheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It might not be your dishes. It could be something that has dropped under the sink?

What kind of dishes do you have?
What kinds of pots and pans do you have?

That may help. It may not. You just may be smelling something else once the smell from cleaning the pots and pans goes away. Even some vegetables or fruits that are in a holder in your kitchen may have leaked some liquid, that can smell over time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.

You could always add a little bleach to your soapy dish water.
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
and put a little bowl or saucer of Bicarb in the same place you store them, it works in Fridges :)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
How old is your house. Could it be a smell they are picking up from the wood in your cabnets? Try leaving the plates on the counter once they are dried to see if they develop the same odor.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Head Chef
In my experience wives are usually correct, but will not question your olfactory senses here.

Agree with JDP, wash some plates the usual way and place some where you usually store them and put some others on a table or counter. And then go back and smell.

One question would be is this a recent development, or has it been ongoing since you got into your current digs?

Sounds like you need to do some detective work.

Hope you work it out.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Could it be the detergent?
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Head Chef
Glad to know that I'm not the only one with smelly dishes. I find that the antibacterial dish detergent helps. I am prone to use Dawn. I use one of those sponges with the green back. I put one corner up when I lay it down so it is not flat on the surface and it can dry.
I try not to store things stacked together tightly. All pots and pans are going to get a little "funky" from time to time. I wash those by themselves.
Tupperware needs to be first washed in cold water and detergent to avoid stains and then washed in warm water with detergent.
Never put detergent directly onto cutting boards as it will absorb the smell. My carrots had a "fresh bouquet" smell. I rinsed the board with vinegar and it was okay.
Like YT said put a box of arm n hammer on one of the shelves. You can also put a cup holder in and hang a refrigerator ordor ball from it.
Sometimes the exterminator has sprayed the cabinets years ago and on a humid day "it's still working".
Somebody is thinking about buying a dishwasher on another thread.
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Thank you heaps for your suggestions. I'll shall try all suggestions...however the "smell" in the pots and pans seems to be in certain pots...where we use for dishes like tomato sauces (with garlick and onion)..(we like a lot of dishes with garlick and onion).....we wash thoroughly these pots with detergent. I smell them...and they smell "detergent fresh" at the time we store them (in cupboards and in the dish tray near the sink). However when we get them out to use again....it's back to"odour" again.....and it smells of old tomato sauce. So it seems that you may be all right. And I am glad someone else has this problem (not really I feel sorry for him/her too) but I do not feel alone. I think that the antibacterial detergent is really a good idea though
sheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Good luck Sheff. I live in an old house and sometimes 'weird' smells just show up. It's extremely aggravating....and embarrasssing.

We've just about found all the 'stuff' but it takes awhile.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote