"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Anodized Dishwasher Death?

My daughter accidentally put two of my Calphalon anodized aluminum pots in the dishwasher. Now they have a pasty, almost bleached look to the outside rather than the dark gray metal. Is there anyway that I can restore the finish to these pots? They still cook well, but look frightful.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Oh dear!
I'll bump this posting back up to the top - someone should be around shortly for you. (I don't know much about caphalon, except that I wish I had some!)

PS - Welcome to Discuss Cooking, pugman! So nice to have you here!

Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Welcome to the group.

You might try washing the outside of your pans with
DORMOND soap. It's made by Calphalon. I'm not sure if it
will work but, it's worth a try.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Master Chef

My guess is no.

All my anodized looks like complete crap and for that reason I would not buy it ever again.

I handwashed it for a while (because putting it in the dishwasher voids the warranty) but it started to look dull so I just gave up and put it in the dishwasher after that.

Even though it looks bad it still performs very well.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I washed mine in the dishwasher one time when I had the flu and no one seemed to be able to clean a pot or put a dish up and I didn't have the energy - I thought I had ruined them, they looked lifeless and dull - but through a couple uses they perked back up. Try some comet/Bon Ami/Bartender's Friend/Calphalon cleaner for hard anodized pots and then just use them. Mine are fine now.

Hard Anodized pots and pans are pretty high maintenance - each and every time I use one I clean with Bon Ami/Comet or something mentioned above outside and inside the pot and the handle. Then before I cook if I notice a grease spot not previously removed I clean it again - but I don't mind - I love my hard anodized and they still look almost brand new (the insides have gotten a little silvery looking from boiling salt in water and just from use but it doesn't affect the cooking quality.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
Master Chef

KE

So you use BKF on the outside of the pan? Maybe I'll try that ... though mine are pretty well gone at ths point.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yep, but if it's already oxidized there's nothing you can do - the reason I became so - um - anal about mine was because my ex MIL had a Calphalon pan that she never cleaned properly and it oxidized so badly it took on this opalescence cast/kind of purple - which is ashame because way back then it was a $60.00 pan (about 18 years ago).

I'm having major emotional trouble that they aren't making the anodized pots and pans anymore (inside and out).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I simpathize. you can get some overstocks on oldfashioned calphalon from amazon, but they are mostly the one's made in china, not ohio. still it is the old hard anodized not the new infused.

The reason the dishwasher is no place for a good pot or pan is the high alkalai content of the soap, and the pellet action which bombards the dishes with "grit". As hard anodyzed is an acid process, alkalai is it's neutralizer.

I gotta admit I really like good basic cookware: cast iron, real copper/tin lined, real hard anodyzed not that 3 layer clad stuff. I want a heavy pot that will sit firmly, flat on the range.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
Cook

I have a couple of pieces of anodized aluminum. If you haven't already try using Scotchbrite and Ajax cleanser. Calphalon recommends them both.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Calphalon made in China, where have I been...Aghaaaaaaaa