Another CI question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beachcomber

Senior Cook
I have a CI cornstick pan I got at a yard sale. Needless to say it is not in the best of shape, when I started cleaning it there is rust in it which I can not remove with a wire brush. I knew it would need seasoning which is why I used the wire brush. My question is how do I remove the rust? This is what it looks like, I only tried to clean the one on the right. Thanks for any help JD

Attachments

• Corn pan 2.jpg
    Corn pan 2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 234
My eyes are playing tricks....Obviously on the extreme right cell you will need to continue down to bare metal...From the photo (enlarged) I don't see a lot of rust...maybe a good cleaning with a brillo pad...and go through the seasoning process a couple of times. There are commercial CI cleaning products on the market if you deem them necessary...However I would start with the least invasive method possible first.

Have you tried a power wire brush?
I cleaned up a DO that was in a lot worse shape than that. I used a braided wire wheel on a 4-1/2" grinder. Or if you only have a drill, they make wire brushes that will fit in the chuck that aren't as stiff, but would still work better than doing it by hand.... well, at least it would be easier.

You are welcome! First time you use it after re-seasoing...spray with a pan spray. It will help the "sticks" release from the pan...

Have Fun!

I have not tried this so please don't laugh, but I have heard good ole Classic Coke will fizz it away to where you can properly clean and re-season. Good luck!

On something like a cornstick pan I would try Electrolysis. It would more than likely remove everything but the base metal. I don't think hydrogen embrittlement or surface effect would be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom