Another newbie asking for cookware advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berry Gal

Assistant Cook
Good morning all!

I see that there are a lot of forums asking about what brands of cookware to buy-well, here is another one.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to read all the blogs, so I'm going to add my post to others.

I am looking to buy some new cookware for my parents and have been looking at the many brands available. My idea is to purchase several essential pieces with two where that copper is the best material. I definitely want to buy them all-ply cookware and am looking into some German cookware-WMF, Berghoff, and some other European brands whose names escape me-it's flooded with names. I'm not against American made, but i would prefer they be European.

So any brands you think would be suitable I'd greatly appreciate your input-December snuck up on me and now I am playing catch up:angel:

Also, if you know of any good cookware websites besides Amazon I would love to hear about them.

I cannot wait for your responses.

What is the level of expertise for your parents?

Knowing a little about the cook, or cooks would sure make it easier to give any advice as to "what" type of cookware would be the right choice.

Last edited:
My parents are well seasoned cooks-they try all kinds of different dishes-Thai, Indian, Italian, etc. We have an electric stove and use both the oven and the stove. We also do a lot of entertaining, so are often cooking several dishes at once-I hope this helps.

I prefer stainless steel for most cooking needs, although I have one good non-stick pan for eggs and crepes. All-Clad is an excellent, but expensive, brand of stainless. Calphalon is also very good and less expensive. Le Creuset enameled cast iron and stoneware is another option.

You can buy slightly cosmetically challenged All Clad at Cookware and More's website.

Excellent stuff that will last forever.

What is the level of expertise for your parents?

Knowing a little about the cook, or cooks would sure make it easier to give any advice as to "what" type of cookware would be the right choice.
I was going to ask the same thing.

Do you know what types of cookware they prefer? Cast iron, stainless, enamelled cast iron, etc.?

Is there something you have heard them mention that they need/would love to have?

I've had more than a few "sets" of cook ware. After 56 years, my best advice is "If the piece feels good your hands and does the tricks you need it to do, that's the piece for you. Forget about a set". Many pieces have been kicked out of sets with the chosen ones left in my cupboards.

My parents have mentioned wanting pieces that are sturdy and can be put both in the oven and on the stove. They've always been interested in brands that are among the all-ply brands. I know they've mentioned needing a good stockpot, a griddle, a large skillet basically an overall to our cookware. Much of our cookware either heats too fast or too slow-nothing in between.

I really want to buy them some this Christmas-after 40 years of marriage and doing all they have me with my illness I want to try to get them a few good pieces.

All the brands I mentioned can go from stove top to oven, except the Le Creuset stoneware. That only goes in the oven.

I also have a cast-iron combo stove-top griddle and grill that goes over two burners; it's reversible. Works great for pancakes, etc.

My parents are well seasoned cooks-they try all kinds of different dishes-Thai, Indian, Italian, etc. We have an electric stove and use both the oven and the stove. We also do a lot of entertaining, so are often cooking several dishes at once-I hope this helps.

Because of their interest in cooking Thai, Indian foods perhaps a few pans, dishes etc that are specific to a particular ethnic dish. Assuming they're in the U.S or UK.

I'll also assume they already have a wok. (Who doesn't?:))

Kadia----- I have two of these, different sizes.
Hammered Stainless Steel Kadhai | World Market

There' a cast iron kadai made also. It's sold for cooking Indian food, but of course anything can be cooked in it.

hotpotwithlid_2l.jpg

The above is a cheaper version of a copper one I used to have. It's advertised for use in Thai cooking.

A Moroccan tajine cooker?

Tagine_ceramic.JPG

The choices are endless----- Personally, I'd like choices like those rather then a 'set'.

Another vote for allclad here.. If your budget can be stretched they offer a copper chefs line but my preference is for the ltd. The anodized exterior makes clean up a snap.

I like aluminum. Its nice and thick. Anodized aluminum is the way I would go.
I also saw a set of stainless at Costco last week. Beautiful and nice and heavy. Well worth the money IMO.
They also have a two non-stick saute pan set for $29.00. A 10" and a 8" non-stick. Very good value.
It's their signature brand "Kirkland". If thats all I had to go on, I would buy them.
In fact, both of those pans are on my Santa list.

I like aluminum. Its nice and thick. Anodized aluminum is the way I would go.
I also saw a set of stainless at Costco last week. Beautiful and nice and heavy. Well worth the money IMO.
They also have a two non-stick saute pan set for $29.00. A 10" and a 8" non-stick. Very good value.
It's their signature brand "Kirkland". If thats all I had to go on, I would buy them.
In fact, both of those pans are on my Santa list.

I saw the 2 Kirkland non-stick sauté pans. About ten feet up the aisle, there was a Tramontina 3-pack for around the same price. It's getting close to the time I need to replace my last 3-pack. It's about 10-12 years old. With prices like that, I may have to do it sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom