"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
Another Vote for Baumalu Copper Cookware

After following various threads on this forum regarding copper cookware for awhile, I recently picked up a Baumalu copper saucepan (2mm thickness) at one of the Tuesday Morning stores. ($79.00 US)

The saucepan works great, heats up really fast, and cleans up beautifully. It's nice to get some variety in my cookware lineup, and to have a pan that responds so quickly. I like the fact that it has a tin lining; something different for me.

My wife and I have had a copper Calphalon (SS lined) saucepan for a few years now, but it doesn't seem to heat up that fast at all. Appears to have just a thin copper coating on the outside.

Baumalu gets my vote!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
CookNow,
I own Baumalu pans and they are great, I also have 3 SS lined copper sauciers made by a Belgian company (Falk Culinaire), they are 2mm thick with a 0.2 mm SS lining.
The pans heat up extremely fast and you need protection to handle the lids.
The material thickness combination is probably the reason why the Calphalon pans are less efficient, perhaps the cooper is only for visual purposes.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Allclad and Calphalon both have copper coated cookware, but they are really aluminum pans with a ss lining and a thin copper exterior. Good pans yes, but not the cooking capabilities of solild copper.

CookNow: I also have several tin lined copper pans...the sound is different in sauteeing and it is totally non-reactive. It darkens with age, but I've never had a problem with mine. I soak them clean while I'm eating and they wipe clean easily.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hi I too own baumalu or just recently became a proud owner!!! One question how do I know if copper is showing through the tin lining? I see a certain darkness it looks a bit diffused in color grey and black. Is this normal? Also is a tin lined pan conducive for cooking spicy foods as I did add cumin, red chilli, and turmeric to my cauliflower while cooking in the pan. Help please!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

sorry accidently posted my replies or rather way too many times
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
Geetika:
I recently learned that "tin darkens naturally upon exposure to heat and certain foods, but the coloring is completely harmless and should not be removed."

So, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
Senior Cook

geetika,
If cooper is showing thru the tin you will see it right away due to the color difference.
As Robo410 and CookNow stated, tin will be darker as you cook. I did some experiment yesterday and was able to clean up a tin pan with lemon juice and baking soda, but I wouldn't do it again because there is not a very significant difference with the regularly cleaned pans. I always run my fingers thru the pan surface while cleaning to make sure there are no scratches -sometimes fingers can "see" better than eyes-, since a deep scratch may leave cooper exposed.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hello everyone I like my baumalu pans too. However, in sheer ignorance I might have destroyed my tin lining and will take my pan for re-tinning. Any tips for maintaining my lining and also did anyone else have the same problem with the pans?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Senior Cook

geetika,
I am not sure what you mean by destroying the tin lining...
did you scratch it?
did you use a metal instrument and gauged your pan?
did you leave it in the oven empty?
Please be a bit more specific, perhaps it is not a big deal.

Tips:
Do not exposed the pan to high heat empty.
Do not use metal or sharp instruments when cooking on tin lined pans.
When cleaning, use just warm water and a celullose sponge with soapdish... the tin itself acts as a non-stick with most foods and they are very easy to clean.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Okay I will be more specific my husband used metal spoon to scoop out food and now I can clearly see copper beneath the lining in some areas. So that pretty much means that I need to to get my pan retinned. I just used my pan twice and I really like it. There is a shop nearby called rocky mountain re tinning maybe I will take my pan and see what they have to say. Any luck with the beka copper pans?
Thanks you so much