"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Any Wok Suggestions?

I'm looking for a good wok to just make some things like pad thai or some Chinese stir-fry dishes. There are so many different kinds of woks out there. Can anyone help suggest what type is a good type? I've seen SS, Calphalon One infused anodized, and Calphalon One non stick flat bottom. This lady on the food network suggested carbon steel with wooden handles. I'm so confused. I know that you can't really cook pancakes and eggs well on SS pans (maybe just b/c I'm not a good cook) because they stick and form crusty gunk impossible to remove...Will a SS wok do the same if you don't do it a certain way?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Head Chef

After trashing two of the non-stick variety woks, I went out (based on advice from theis site!) to http://www.wokshop.com and bought the real thing and we couldn't be happier with it. (If I recall, we got the $60 wok set)

It came with instructions on how to season it, and since then, it's been great. No real major problems with food sticking, cooks well, cleans up great.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Cook

I know several Chinese Chefs and asked the same question you did. Their answer, Carbon Steel, rounded, at least on the inside, use a ring over the burner.

Not my advise theirs, but as that's what the cook with all the time, I'll yeild to their knowledge.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

you want a hand hammered carbon steel wok...very plain very simple, and cheap. you will season it with oil and it will darken with use. You will clean it with hot water and a brush. It will last a lifetime and make great food.

That said, no home range (even pro style) gives you the heat that a true professional wok burner gives a chef in the restaurant. And heat is the force of wok cooking.

If you have an electric stove you will need a flat bottom stir fry pan, which you can get in carbon steel. You do not want stainless or stick free or other metals.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
you want a hand hammered carbon steel wok...very plain very simple, and cheap. you will season it with oil and it will darken with use. You will clean it with hot water and a brush. It will last a lifetime and make great food.

That said, no home range (even pro style) gives you the heat that a true professional wok burner gives a chef in the restaurant. And heat is the force of wok cooking.

If you have an electric stove you will need a flat bottom stir fry pan, which you can get in carbon steel. You do not want stainless or stick free or other metals.
What you said Uh! Huh!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
After trashing two of the non-stick variety woks, I went out (based on advice from theis site!) to http://www.wokshop.com and bought the real thing and we couldn't be happier with it. (If I recall, we got the $60 wok set)

It came with instructions on how to season it, and since then, it's been great. No real major problems with food sticking, cooks well, cleans up great.

John

I actually bought mine at the Wok Shop while in San Fran on a business trip about 10 years ago and brought it back on the plane.

It is awesome. I highly recommend that place.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

what do you think of this? it's made from heavy-gauge carbon steel with a flat bottom http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...c065&cmsrc=sch
Old 08-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CremeBruleeFan
what do you think of this? it's made from heavy-gauge carbon steel with a flat bottom http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...c065&cmsrc=sch

I recommend you stay away from non-stick. The key to wok cooking is using HIGH heat. The hotter the better. That's not a good thing for non-stick as it breaks down in high heat.

Go for plain carbon steel and season it.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I bought a plain, ordinary-looking carbon steel wok with a wooden handle from Cost Plus World Market, for around $12.00 American, many years ago. I've never had a problem with it, I still use it about once a week, and I believe they are STILL around 12 bucks!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I recommend you stay away from non-stick. The key to wok cooking is using HIGH heat. The hotter the better. That's not a good thing for non-stick as it breaks down in high heat.

Go for plain carbon steel and season it.
Absolutely! No nonstick woks. I have never really understoon why they even make them.