"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
i'm not familiar with that one... but it does have phenolic handles-if that makes a difference to you.

also, they usually make strainer inserts for steaming or deep frying for the 365 series... i'm not sure they make them for that series.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
Head Chef

So phenolic handles are good? Neither one is in stock at my local IKEA store, so I'm out of luck anyway. Guess I could check at other stores.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
So phenolic handles are good? Neither one is in stock at my local IKEA store, so I'm out of luck anyway. Guess I could check at other stores.
i didn't mean to say that phenolic was better or worse... but if i had to guess, i'd say, "worse."

why?

let's just say for some odd reason, you want to keep a big pot of something in the oven at a low temp... i would NOT suggest putting plastic in the oven like that. who knows... they might warp, melt, give-off vapors, etc.

i would go with the straight 365 series... all 18/10 stainless steel. they have served me well over the years for a REALLY decent price.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I have both the large and the smaller stainless steel stock pots that come with the strainer inside, and of course the lids. I use them all the time and they perform really well.
I recommend them to you.
I also use a lot of the accessories like tongs large service pieces etc. Love it all.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Head Chef

Black chef's favorite stock pot was what I was talking about, although mine are in other sizes.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #16
Master Chef

Phenolic handles (made from thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin materials - also known as Bakelite) is fine for cookware handles and will last for a long time. One of of Bakelite's best properties is its ability to withstand prolonged exposure to heat, along with being nonconductive, nonreactive, and very tough.

Mom has a set of cookware with Bakelite handles that I know are over 50-years old and the handles are in fine shape. I don't know how often she used them in the oven - but I know she has one pot in particular that she has many times.

Having said that - I too prefer metal handles because I know they can go under the broiler without any problems. But, like with any other cookware, readd the instructions to find out the limits/restrictions before making a purchase.