Anyone ever use Ikea Cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
I was browsing through the new Ikea catalog and saw they have their own cookware "line" that they sell. Aluminum, stainless, and cast iron cookware. It looks good, but it's all Scandinavian branded that I've never heard of.

Anyone have experience with any of it? Ikea tends to be very reasonably priced, and of the few things I've seen from there, decent quality.

:chef:

I purchased one small non-stick pan (probably 10 inches or less), for less than $5, and it's survived pretty well over the past 2-3 years, and I've used it a lot. I haven't heard anything else about their other cookware, though. I'd be interested to hear reviews myself! :)

-Tim

Chef_Jen said:
Ive had some really good experiences with IKEA cookware...

i agree... i've been using the ikea 365 series cookware for years.

i first bought it just to hold me over until i spent the big $$ on all clad... but, it does the job, so i'm still using it YEARS later.

it's 18/10 stainless that is oven safe. a good value for the $$ IMO.

Yes, we have many kitchen utensils and vessels purchased from Ikea, and they provide an excellent value for your money.
For cookware (skillets and pots), decent but we have found better values elsewhere. (Italian products in other Italian shops, so comparisons are probably not valid with most of you guys though...)

I love their 9 liter and 4.5 liter heavy-bottomed stainless steel stock pots. I would simmer stock overnight and even up to 12 hours, and I don't need to add water because somehow only very little steam escapes out. Also, since I don't have a pressure cooker, I would stew meats for 3 hours and same thing, no need to add water, and the food never burns at the bottom.

I found myself using the 4.5 liter one so often, I bought another one as a reserve. They were priced very reasonably too.

There is an IKEA about 3 hours from me. I will have to check this stuff out if I get up that way. I need a larger pot than I have now. My largest is 3.5 qt and it is getting worn anyway.

So phenolic handles are good? Neither one is in stock at my local IKEA store, so I'm out of luck anyway. Guess I could check at other stores.

vagriller said:
So phenolic handles are good? Neither one is in stock at my local IKEA store, so I'm out of luck anyway. Guess I could check at other stores.

i didn't mean to say that phenolic was better or worse... but if i had to guess, i'd say, "worse."

why?

let's just say for some odd reason, you want to keep a big pot of something in the oven at a low temp... i would NOT suggest putting plastic in the oven like that. who knows... they might warp, melt, give-off vapors, etc.

i would go with the straight 365 series... all 18/10 stainless steel. they have served me well over the years for a REALLY decent price.

I have both the large and the smaller stainless steel stock pots that come with the strainer inside, and of course the lids. I use them all the time and they perform really well.
I recommend them to you.
I also use a lot of the accessories like tongs large service pieces etc. Love it all.

Phenolic handles (made from thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin materials - also known as Bakelite) is fine for cookware handles and will last for a long time. One of of Bakelite's best properties is its ability to withstand prolonged exposure to heat, along with being nonconductive, nonreactive, and very tough.

Mom has a set of cookware with Bakelite handles that I know are over 50-years old and the handles are in fine shape. I don't know how often she used them in the oven - but I know she has one pot in particular that she has many times.

Having said that - I too prefer metal handles because I know they can go under the broiler without any problems. But, like with any other cookware, readd the instructions to find out the limits/restrictions before making a purchase.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom