"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Well, I may not like polishing them all the time, but I love cooking in them. The only problem is I need 2 sizes of fry pans and a large (10" to 12") covered saute pan, and that's what I don't have. I always think I could get those pieces (stainless steel) separately and then by the time I'm done pricing the pieces, it turns out I could get a whole set from Costco for the same price.

Maybe I'll try the glue thing. I haven't seen too many of these pots in the $30 range and I definitely need a lid.

Thank you, Jim!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #32
Master Chef

I'm not so sure about using high temp expoxy or glue for this particular application. Sure, they're plenty strong and I've used them before to mend things together but I would not trust them here where you have a handle leveraging against the weight of a loaded pot. The bond will fail, IMO....

Old 09-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I am currently using the old copper Revereware pots and pans. There was some adjustment before I figured out where they could be safely kept and a couple of them fell on the floor before I had that figured out. Now because of that, or because of age, the brass handle of the 2 qt pot has fallen off.

I can't tell if the handle was riveted on or not. Although it looks to have been welded, I can see what looks like 3 screws in both the handle and the pan (there are no rivets in the inside of the pot itself - the entire inside is smooth all the way around).

My question is, is it worth it to try to reweld the handle back on and if it is, does anyone know where I would go to have this done? And any guess at what it might cost?

When I lived in San Diego, I had a trailer with a SS potable tank that developed a leak. I tried a number of welding places, and none of them would weld SS. Evidently, it's difficult to weld SS, and probably would discolr the metal, and possibly induce corrosive properties to the welded area.

I would check reputable machine shops as well as welding shops. They may come up with and elegant and attractive way of reconnecting the handle to the pot.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I don't think you'd be welding stainless steel though. It looks to me you'd be welding the copper pot to a brass handle.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #35
Master Chef

RT, you are very lucky that handle didn't fall off full of hot food.

How can you trust it won't happen that way with the rest of the set?

I think you're better off getting rid of them now, rather than later and cut your losses before you wish you had done just that.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #36
Head Chef

Revere signature ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RT, you are very lucky that handle didn't fall off full of hot food.

How can you trust it won't happen that way with the rest of the set?

I think you're better off getting rid of them now, rather than later and cut your losses before you wish you had done just that.
Kayelle, there are millions of pieces of this cookware around. I have a few myself. I collect copper and use copper daily for cooking. I also frequent a few copper boards. I have heard of only one other handle failing, and this was on the stainless version of the same style. Revere signature cookware is as safe as any other cookware when it comes to handle failure.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Kayelle, there are millions of pieces of this cookware around. I have a few myself. I collect copper and use copper daily for cooking. I also frequent a few copper boards. I have heard of only one other handle failing, and this was on the stainless version of the same style. Revere signature cookware is as safe as any other cookware when it comes to handle failure.
That just can't be true. You must mean it's as safe as any cookware that has glued on handles.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #38
Sous Chef

It can't be any worse than the disks falling off the bottoms of some pans. Anyway, this handle gave me a little warning. I noticed the handle was slightly loose a couple days before it came off, but I didn't think anything about it at the time. I'm not that worried. All I do with my pans is cook in them, wash them, and polish them. These are about the only times I'm holding them by the handle. I very seldom pick the pots up with food in them, now that I think about it. And now I know to be a little more careful if I do.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That just can't be true. You must mean it's as safe as any cookware that has glued on handles.
I have no real idea how the handles are attached. What I said was that if I were to attempt a repair I would try one of the heat resistant super glues.

I'm pretty sure that the handles are attached in a manner similar to the Bakelite handled Revere, but I have no idea exactly how that is.

What I do know is that it doesn't seem to be a problem typical of this cookware.

I sure wouldn't throw away cookware I liked and has served others for decades with no problem on the slight chance that I may experience another handle failure.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It can't be any worse than the disks falling off the bottoms of some pans. Anyway, this handle gave me a little warning. I noticed the handle was slightly loose a couple days before it came off, but I didn't think anything about it at the time. I'm not that worried. All I do with my pans is cook in them, wash them, and polish them. These are about the only times I'm holding them by the handle. I very seldom pick the pots up with food in them, now that I think about it. And now I know to be a little more careful if I do.
Exactly. Cookware failures are not uncommon. My daughter had one of those guaranteed forever Pampered Chef roasting pans explode in the oven with a rib roast in it last Christmas. Pyrex and Corning ware occasionally explodes.

Use your pots and enjoy.