"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 02-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #21
Executive Chef
where a pan is made affects its cost, and thus the "value" when rated. Those made in CHina cost less than those made in the USA where labor costs are higher. It would be interesting to see where the standard All Clad is made, and where the Emerilware is made. This may not affect the performance at all, but the value rating certainly.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #22
Originally Posted by ebyhardwarehoney
Stevie...here is a copy of a post you authored in January regarding the Consumer Reports comparison:

"How is it that All-Clad nonstick was not even mentioned and the uncoated was ranked low? Cook's Illustrated test's ranked both they're favorite pans."

I'm not sure what your agenda is but a quick survey of your recent posts do appear to strongly favor All-Clad. Do you work for All-Clad?

Cook's Illustrated is hardly a trustworthy unbiased comparison, since All-Clad pays high dollars to advertise in their magazine. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against All-Clad but your posts do have me wondering....forgive me if my mind is just working overtime here.
I just find it strange that Emerilware rated so high when it is not AC's top of the line, I dont work for All-Clad. And I trust Cook's Illustrated comparison over Consumer Reports.

Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #23
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by ebyhardwarehoney
Cook's Illustrated is hardly a trustworthy unbiased comparison, since All-Clad pays high dollars to advertise in their magazine.
I'm sorry, but Cooks Illustrated magazine accepts no advertising from anyone. That is why it costs so much for a subscription, and why the quality of the magazine (the paper, ink, cover stock, etc.) is so "chintzy."
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
Thank you for pointing that out, you're right. I just looked it up online.
ebyhardwarehoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
jkath, beware of emerilware nonstick.

we have 2 sets, and the nonstick surface on the most often used pans is wearing or has worn off. it wasn't abused or scratched really badly, but the interior surfaces are no longer shiny and nonstick. they're a kinda matte finish now.

i'm going to switch to stainless steel soon, probably all clad, but i'll keep whatever remains of the emerilware set for nonstick. costco has a bialetti nonstick pan that i'm going to buy tomorrow. it's big but fairly lightweight, so i'm not sure how good it will be, but who cares if you ruin a $20 pan.

i'm gonna go hit a few restaurant supply places first before i dump the dough on all clad.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
Hospitality Queen
Well, I went shopping and came home with a large assortment of stainless Calphalon. Seems great for me! I've put all the nonstick stuff in the garage, and will be donating it to the local thrift store Tuesday. The only thing I'll miss is my very large skillet - I think it holds about 5 quarts. It's the only pan I have that's large enough to make my pineapple upside down cake that my family loves. But, all the nonstick is going.
But, while I was shopping, I also got a giant stockpot with a colander insert with a smaller steamer that fits on top of that. Basically, you can cook your pasta while steaming your veggies. Kinda cool, I think.
Now, all I need to replace is a griddle.....so I'll be looking into those.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #27
The lids included in the All Clad stainless 10pc sets sold at Marshall Fields, are cheap looking, half the thickness and weight of ones sold at Williams Sonoma.
I spent $30 more at W.S. and got the real thing.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #28
Executive Chef
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jkath
I'm thinking about changing out all of my current cookware. I want to get rid of the teflon I've got, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. I see Emeril's pans quite often, and am wondering if anyone has any comments/ideas/suggestions for me. Price isn't an issue, but quality is!

I do.

I got the Emerilware 10-pc. Stainless Steel Cookware Set. Plus I've just completed adding 13 additional open stock pieces, making it a whopping 24-pc. set!!

I love it!! It's very heavy, solid, has thick-clad triple-layer bottoms and has excellent cooking qualities! It's the very best cookware set that I've ever owned. It also has a lifetime warranty.

If the 10-pc. set costs too much for you, there's also a 7-pc. set that you might want to get instead. But stick with the all-stainless steel cookware. I got rid of the old Teflon-coated aluminum cookware set for obvious reasons.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #29
Master Chef
For only a bit more you can buy the fully clad stuff without the $$ Emeril name.

Same with his Wusthof knives.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer
Calphalon makes great stuff Jkath. You are going to be very happy with those!

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote